Different Path for ‘Cutie’

Death Cab for Cutie’s latest album Narrow Stairs is definitely a new take on their own sound from their earlier albums. They make sure to let you know with the second track of the album, “I Will Possess Your Heart,” which builds up 5 wordless minutes of moody atmosphere before it becomes a stalker’s love letter that would even make Sting blush.

Ben Gibbard, also the lead singer of The Postal Service, displays a darker side with his lyrics, all the while maintaining that high quality tenor that has made him so easy to listen to. It is his voice that makes the lyrics seem to flow more easily and take away the heartbreaking sting from songs like “You Can Do Better Than Me,” which dives into the crushing depths of loneliness.

Even with those gloomy topics, the band never really seems to lose sight of its pop-rock sensibilities. Kudos should be given to guitarist and producer Chris Walla, who stays away from thinking that if “it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” Walla, along with the rest of the band, wanted to create a new vibe for their group and ended up surpassing previous attempts. They have not exceeded their efforts by leaps and bounds, but did make baby steps in their progression.

Alejandro Fonseca

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...