Different Path for ‘Cutie’

Death Cab for Cutie’s latest album Narrow Stairs is definitely a new take on their own sound from their earlier albums. They make sure to let you know with the second track of the album, “I Will Possess Your Heart,” which builds up 5 wordless minutes of moody atmosphere before it becomes a stalker’s love letter that would even make Sting blush.

Ben Gibbard, also the lead singer of The Postal Service, displays a darker side with his lyrics, all the while maintaining that high quality tenor that has made him so easy to listen to. It is his voice that makes the lyrics seem to flow more easily and take away the heartbreaking sting from songs like “You Can Do Better Than Me,” which dives into the crushing depths of loneliness.

Even with those gloomy topics, the band never really seems to lose sight of its pop-rock sensibilities. Kudos should be given to guitarist and producer Chris Walla, who stays away from thinking that if “it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” Walla, along with the rest of the band, wanted to create a new vibe for their group and ended up surpassing previous attempts. They have not exceeded their efforts by leaps and bounds, but did make baby steps in their progression.

Alejandro Fonseca

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...

A ninth-inning solo home from Pittsburgh proved the difference Friday night, as Miami dropped the se ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Straight-set victories at the top four singles positions brought the University of Miami men's ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...