Serving it up

BACK AND FORTH: Genny Mayhew attempts a kill against Florida State last Friday night. Miami defeated Florida State, 3-1. Photo by Steve Root // Hurricane Staff.

At the University of Miami, football rules, and basketball and baseball get the bulk of the attention when football season is over.

At a university where attention is dominated by the major sports, the UM women’s volleyball team has served notice.

The team has sprinted off to a 12-0 start this season, marking its best beginning since 2002, when the team rolled out with a 15-0 start.

The Canes opened the weekend and their ACC schedule on Friday at home against in-state rival Florida State, in front of an almost capacity crowd.

The Hurricanes fell behind early, dropping their first set.

Despite having to grind it out the rest of the night, it did not take the team long to respond. They secured the second set, 25-19, behind strong play from junior Genny Mayhew and her 13 kills and clutch serving from junior libero Cassie Loessberg down the stretch.

The Canes kept at it in the third set and they enjoyed instant offensive production off the bench from redshirt freshman Christine Williamson as they took the set, 25-22, and the lead.

After falling behind in the third set, the Canes were led back to a 17-13 lead by freshman Lane Carico and sophomore Maria Andersson. FSU was able to battle back to a 19-19 tie, before sophomore Katie Gallagher and Mayhew put the Canes up 23-20.

The Noles then rattled off four straight to take a 24-23 lead.

This is when senior Angelica Ellis went to work, closing out the set and the match, 3-1, for the Hurricanes.

Miami held FSU to a .195 hitting percentage in the match. This was the ninth straight match the Canes have kept their opponent to a sub-.200 hitting percentage.

The Canes, on the other hand, registered a .213 hitting percentage.

Both Carico and Mayhew recorded their fourth double-doubles – double digit kills and digs – on the season.

On Saturday, the Hurricane stepped it up to an entirely different level as they faced off against Florida Atlantic on the road.

The Canes dominated the Owls 25-15, 25-18 and 25-18, taking the match 3-0.

Miami recorded a .311 hitting percentage, while keeping the Owls to a .054 hitting percentage. It was the sixth time this season the Hurricanes have had a .300 or better hitting percentage.

The Hurricanes were led by Carico, who registered her fifth double-double of the season. The team also got strong performances from Mayhew, who had seven kills; freshman Ali Becker, who had six kills; and Loessberg, who had 12 digs.

Miami will now look to take their unbeaten act on the road this Thursday, as they prepare to do battle with ACC rival Duke at 7 p.m.

Pravin Patel

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...