Correction: UM prof did not question Earth’s age

The brief published in last Monday’s issue of The Miami Hurricane entitled “UM prof questions Earth’s age” was inaccurately titled; Peter Swart, professor at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, did not question the Earth’s age whatsoever.

“I can’t understand where this idea came from,” said Swart, author of the original article which describes his findings in the prestigious journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. “[My] article does not even address the earth’s age.”

Swart’s article did, in fact, question whether the amount of organic carbon buried in the Earth’s sedimentary record is accurately recorded by the ratio of the two stable isotopes of carbon, carbon-13 and carbon 12. This has implications for the reconstruction of the history of carbon dioxide throughout the Earth’s history.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...