Paths to victory: The ‘dependable’ states

As we near the 4th of November, one question seems to continually arise: Who will win the presidential election? In order to answer that question we must first inquire as to the different paths to victory for both Senator Obama and Senator McCain.

This is part one of a four part series regarding election strategies.

Part I: Good Old Dependable

There are certain states that in recent history have almost always gone Democratic or Republican. States that exhibit this recent history of voting solidly Democratic or Republican and show large leads in the polls (a realclearpolitics.com average of 10% of points or more) may be referred to as solid states.

Solidly Democratic states include those with large amounts of electoral votes, like California (55 electoral votes), New York (31), Illinois (21), Massachusetts (12) and Maryland (10), and those with less, like Connecticut (7), Maine (4), Rhode Island (4), Hawaii (4), Vermont (3) and Washington, D.C. (3).

Solidly Republican states also include those with large amounts of electoral votes, like Texas (34), Tennessee (11) and Arizona (10), and those with less, like Alabama (9), Louisiana (9), Kentucky (8), South Carolina (8), Oklahoma (7), Arkansas (6), Kansas (6), Mississippi (6), Nebraska (5), Utah (5), West Virginia (5), Idaho (4), Wyoming (3), South Dakota (3) and Alaska (3).

Counting only these dependable states, Democrat Barack Obama would have an electoral lead of 157 compared to Republican John McCain’s 142 electoral votes. Keep in mind that the objective is to reach 270 electoral votes.

Check out the upcoming components of Paths to Victory coming soon.

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...