Paths to victory: The ‘dependable’ states

As we near the 4th of November, one question seems to continually arise: Who will win the presidential election? In order to answer that question we must first inquire as to the different paths to victory for both Senator Obama and Senator McCain.

This is part one of a four part series regarding election strategies.

Part I: Good Old Dependable

There are certain states that in recent history have almost always gone Democratic or Republican. States that exhibit this recent history of voting solidly Democratic or Republican and show large leads in the polls (a realclearpolitics.com average of 10% of points or more) may be referred to as solid states.

Solidly Democratic states include those with large amounts of electoral votes, like California (55 electoral votes), New York (31), Illinois (21), Massachusetts (12) and Maryland (10), and those with less, like Connecticut (7), Maine (4), Rhode Island (4), Hawaii (4), Vermont (3) and Washington, D.C. (3).

Solidly Republican states also include those with large amounts of electoral votes, like Texas (34), Tennessee (11) and Arizona (10), and those with less, like Alabama (9), Louisiana (9), Kentucky (8), South Carolina (8), Oklahoma (7), Arkansas (6), Kansas (6), Mississippi (6), Nebraska (5), Utah (5), West Virginia (5), Idaho (4), Wyoming (3), South Dakota (3) and Alaska (3).

Counting only these dependable states, Democrat Barack Obama would have an electoral lead of 157 compared to Republican John McCain’s 142 electoral votes. Keep in mind that the objective is to reach 270 electoral votes.

Check out the upcoming components of Paths to Victory coming soon.

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...