Freshman bikes 1,450 miles to first year of college

JJ Jehangir, a UM freshman in the Frost School of Music, rode his bicycle from Illinois to Miami, which proved to be an interesting journey. Photo by Tanya Thompson // Hurricane Staff.

Booking airfare and loading up cars are common ways for incoming freshmen to transport themselves to college for the first time. However, for freshman Jamshed Jehangir, bicycle and a backpack were the only necessities for his trip to the University of Miami.

Jehangir, known by friends as “JJ,” biked from his home in Downers Grove, Ill. to the Coral Gables campus – a 1,450-mile journey that took him 17 days.

“I was trying to find an adventure,” said Jehangir, who is majoring in studio music and jazz. “If you have an opportunity like that, you take it.”

Jehangir, who began bicycling this summer, prepared for the long journey by taking a 400-mile trip to visit family in Michigan and by participating in a week-long fundraiser in Colorado.

It was his mother who suggested the trip to Miami after Jehangir asked if he could bicycle to visit family in Tennessee.

“People ask how I got here and they don’t believe it,” he said. “They think it’s awesome, but they don’t understand it.”

For Jehnagir, his trip wasn’t about the publicity. He didn’t tell anyone about it before he left, and, once he arrived on campus, he told only a roommate and one other friend. Jehangir said he wanted to make the journey as much “for himself” as possible, for his own growth and exploration. Once he got to campus, he welcomed the company of friends.

“It’s nice to be around a lot of people after that,” he said. “It was almost a relief to get here.”

While the trip got lonely for Jehangir, he met several people along the way aside from the relatives he stayed with. In Kentucky, he stayed with the son of Sonny Weedman, who built Chicago’s former Weedman Park, which is now the site of Wrigley Field in Chicago.

“That’s what traveling is all about,” Jehangir said. “Getting to know different people.”

Jehangir said he believes his biking journey to the university made his college experience more fulfilling. “It made [starting college]a lot more comfortable,” he said. “After that, you’re really not scared of anything.”

Kiersten Schmidt

Contributing Writer

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Freshman bikes 1,450 miles to first year of college”

1. Ladies Love Felipe says:

Nicely done Jamshed. I took a trip on my bicycle from Guatemala to Panama. Best experience of my life. I’m sure you’ll agree. Congrats! You got a great head on your shoulders @ 17.

2. Martin says:

In interested in how he chose his route. If you’re reading this do you mind sharing how you figured out which roads would be safest.

3. John says:

Good, now he could get used to not having a car in college.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...