Congressional face-off in UM’s district

Annette Taddeo is the democratic challenger for Floridas 18th district Congressional Seat. Photo Courtesy of Deming Williams.

Democrat Annette Taddeo and Republican Ileana Ros-Lehtinen will compete for the congressional seat for Florida’s 18th district, which includes the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus as well as South Miami, Miami Beach, Coconut Grove and Monroe County.

Taddeo, founder and CEO of the language translations company LanguageSpeak, said that when she was a college student she endured economic obstacles that she believes many college students can relate to.

“When I graduated [from college], we were also going through a recession and had a very difficult job market,” said Taddeo, who graduated from the University of North Alabama in 1992. “That is why I started my own business; it was impossible to get a job.”

The platform she is running on has many components based on her business experience with which she hopes to beat the 19-year incumbent, Republican Ileana Ros-Lehtinen.

“We need a lot more common-sense business people in Washington,” she said. “Being a business woman is a huge asset and something we are severely lacking in Washington.”

Taddeo said she wants small businesses to receive more governmental contracts, tax incentives and loans.
For the overall economy, Taddeo sees clean energy as a source of revitalization. She wants to invest more money in alternative energy, including solar, wind and ocean turbine power, which Taddeo believes is in exact contrast to Ros-Lehtinen.

“I hope that people really clean out Washington,” she said. “That is what I am trying to do, running against [Ros-Lehtinen], a 19-year incumbent – someone that has stood with oil and gas every step of the way.”
Taddeo added that she sympathizes with the financial woes of graduating college students.

“Student loans have been a huge burden on students. We have not done enough to ease this burden,” Taddeo said.

Her plans included offering debt relief for certain service jobs in professions such as the medical and teaching fields.

Taddeo believes that her debt relief views are not the only way she appeals to college students, but sees the challenger spot as an advantage to this demographic as well.

“We need to clean up Washington and we cannot do that with the same people going back to Washington. I think college students understand that we need real down-to-earth people in Washington to do that.”

Ros-Lehtinen has not yet been available for an interview with The Miami Hurricane due to the events of the Republican National Convention. The Miami Hurricane plans to interview Ros-Lehtinen in the near future.

To learn more about Taddeo’s campaign, visit the Web site Annette Taddeo for Congress For Congress at www.votetaddeo.com.

To learn more about Ros-Lehtinen’s campaign, visit the Web site Re-elect Ileana Ros-Lehtinen For Congress at www.ros-lehtinenforcongress.com.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Congressional face-off in UM’s district”

1. Chelsea Kate Isaacs says:

Dear Humberto,

Thank you for your comment. As stated in The Miami Hurricane print version, Ros-Lehtinen was unable to be reached by reporters at the time this article was published.

However, The Miami Hurricane was able to communicate with the Ros-Lehtinen campaign this week and plans to publish a Ros-Lehtinen-focused article in the next issue of the newspaper.

I appreciate your comment and thank you for reading The Miami Hurricane.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs
    News Editor

2. Linda says:

What don’t we know about Ileana so sick of her, I wish Annette the best and I will vote for her, I live in Monroe County.

3. Humberto says:

Why does this article focus solely on Taddeo while leaving Ros-Lehtinen’s positions and goals out? We are only getting one side of the story here. Its not necessary to have an interview to at least give some information on Ros-Lehtinen’s enegry plans, or tax plan, or economic plan. At least, you could have waited to have gotten an interview with Ros-Lehtinen so you could give both sides of the argument simultaneously. It would have made this article less one sided.

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...