Congressional face-off in UM’s district

Annette Taddeo is the democratic challenger for Floridas 18th district Congressional Seat. Photo Courtesy of Deming Williams.

Democrat Annette Taddeo and Republican Ileana Ros-Lehtinen will compete for the congressional seat for Florida’s 18th district, which includes the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus as well as South Miami, Miami Beach, Coconut Grove and Monroe County.

Taddeo, founder and CEO of the language translations company LanguageSpeak, said that when she was a college student she endured economic obstacles that she believes many college students can relate to.

“When I graduated [from college], we were also going through a recession and had a very difficult job market,” said Taddeo, who graduated from the University of North Alabama in 1992. “That is why I started my own business; it was impossible to get a job.”

The platform she is running on has many components based on her business experience with which she hopes to beat the 19-year incumbent, Republican Ileana Ros-Lehtinen.

“We need a lot more common-sense business people in Washington,” she said. “Being a business woman is a huge asset and something we are severely lacking in Washington.”

Taddeo said she wants small businesses to receive more governmental contracts, tax incentives and loans.
For the overall economy, Taddeo sees clean energy as a source of revitalization. She wants to invest more money in alternative energy, including solar, wind and ocean turbine power, which Taddeo believes is in exact contrast to Ros-Lehtinen.

“I hope that people really clean out Washington,” she said. “That is what I am trying to do, running against [Ros-Lehtinen], a 19-year incumbent – someone that has stood with oil and gas every step of the way.”
Taddeo added that she sympathizes with the financial woes of graduating college students.

“Student loans have been a huge burden on students. We have not done enough to ease this burden,” Taddeo said.

Her plans included offering debt relief for certain service jobs in professions such as the medical and teaching fields.

Taddeo believes that her debt relief views are not the only way she appeals to college students, but sees the challenger spot as an advantage to this demographic as well.

“We need to clean up Washington and we cannot do that with the same people going back to Washington. I think college students understand that we need real down-to-earth people in Washington to do that.”

Ros-Lehtinen has not yet been available for an interview with The Miami Hurricane due to the events of the Republican National Convention. The Miami Hurricane plans to interview Ros-Lehtinen in the near future.

To learn more about Taddeo’s campaign, visit the Web site Annette Taddeo for Congress For Congress at www.votetaddeo.com.

To learn more about Ros-Lehtinen’s campaign, visit the Web site Re-elect Ileana Ros-Lehtinen For Congress at www.ros-lehtinenforcongress.com.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Congressional face-off in UM’s district”

1. Chelsea Kate Isaacs says:

Dear Humberto,

Thank you for your comment. As stated in The Miami Hurricane print version, Ros-Lehtinen was unable to be reached by reporters at the time this article was published.

However, The Miami Hurricane was able to communicate with the Ros-Lehtinen campaign this week and plans to publish a Ros-Lehtinen-focused article in the next issue of the newspaper.

I appreciate your comment and thank you for reading The Miami Hurricane.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs
    News Editor

2. Linda says:

What don’t we know about Ileana so sick of her, I wish Annette the best and I will vote for her, I live in Monroe County.

3. Humberto says:

Why does this article focus solely on Taddeo while leaving Ros-Lehtinen’s positions and goals out? We are only getting one side of the story here. Its not necessary to have an interview to at least give some information on Ros-Lehtinen’s enegry plans, or tax plan, or economic plan. At least, you could have waited to have gotten an interview with Ros-Lehtinen so you could give both sides of the argument simultaneously. It would have made this article less one sided.

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...