George Will analyzes the ’08 election with UM students

Keeping track of this year’s dramatic presidential campaign trail may seem alarmingly difficult at times. To help prepare and inform young voters in the University of Miami community, Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist George F. Will was invited to speak personally with them on campus at the BankUnited Center Wedensday evening.

Will was invited to UM as the 2008 New Student Convocation speaker as well as the first renowned guest to speak to students as part of A Dialogue for Democracy, the university’s innovative political series which will take place throughout the fall.

George Will spoke on Wednesday evening at the Bank United Center on the topic of politics as part of the Dialogue for Democracy. Photo by Chelsea Matiash // Hurricane Staff.

Will presented his lecture, “The Political Argument Today,” which explained in depth his views on the political environment in America, including the tendency of conservatives to favor freedom and less government control while liberals are more concerned with equality.

The issue college students should be most concerned about is “the fact that we have a welfare state,” he posited.

“It exists to transfer wealth from the working young to the retired elderly, and if it is not reformed it’s going to transfer way too much of the wealth through the earnings of young people to the elderly, many of whom do not need it,” Will told The Miami Hurricane during a press conference before his presentation began. “The weight of the welfare state will have such a suffocating effect on our economy – it must throw off the revenues to pay the bills.”

After praising President Donna E. Shalala along with the university itself, Will told The Miami Hurricane that his 16-year-old son may be interested in attending UM for college.

“[Ralph Waldo] Emerson said, ‘any institution is the lengthening shadow of a person,’ and if the University of Miami is a lengthening shadow of your not-very-long President [Shalala], then it’s the kind of place I’d want my son to look at,” he said.

On the presidential election itself, Will predicted that Democratic candidate Senator Barack Obama will “pile up enormous popular vote majorities” while Republican candidate Senator John McCain could win the electoral vote. Will suggested the Democrats may lose states in the South “more narrowly than they have done in the last five or six elections” because of many African Americans in the South who will vote for Obama.

Although Will said that “if you had to bet your house” on who will win the election, he’d bet on Senator Obama, he believes that Obama is “radically under-performing his party.”

Regardless of the election’s outcome, Will encouraged students to “pay attention” to the race.

“It doesn’t get any better than this and it may not be this good again for a long time – good in the sense of sheer theater,” Will said. “Four talented candidates, serious differences, civil argument. It’s what democracy ought to look like.”

As part of A Dialogue for Democracy, UM will feature a lineup of political strategists, pollsters, news correspondents, scholars and government leaders throughout the political season.

MTV News reporter Gideon Yago, pollster John Zogby, political scholars Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein, as well as political strategist James Carville and Mary Matalin, former assistant to President Bush, are among those to visit the university in the upcoming months.

To learn more about A Dialogue for Democracy, visit www.miami.edu/decision08.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...