The lesser of two evils is still evil

If, as Laura Edwins hopes (The Battle for America), Barack Obama and his ideas are “the future of America” then I am deeply worried about our already bleak prospects. No, I am not just some dumb, racist redneck, nor am I afraid to embrace the messiah’s empty gospel of hope and change I am told I can, but refuse to, believe in. I am simply an American patriot who scoffs at the idea of someone telling me how to live my life and spend my hard earned though increasingly worthless money. 

The government already infects virtually every aspect of our lives so, tell me, which part of Obama’s platform is truly a change from ever increasing government power? How is this change when I will lose yet more freedoms and the completely unproductive and parasitic part of our crumbling economy will take yet more of my wealth to squander on its bloated welfare-warfare state? 

What has happened to this land which spawned such heroic defenders of liberty as Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, and H.L. Mencken? There are so many dead bodies rolling in their graves, the tremors make your head spin if you dare think about how badly we messed up this country. The depredations and abuses committed daily by our massive government would make George III blush. 

Exactly what change will Obama bring? More socialism? More wars? Less freedom? Sounds like more of the same to me. Real change would be just the opposite: drastically slash government spending and taxes, remove troops from all foreign lands, deregulate the economy, and end the inflationary fiat monetary regime. Of course, the two parties squabble over petty wedge issues to delude the American people, but their game is in plain view for anyone who cares to look.  

Americans are either masochistic to put up with such outrageous violations of liberty, or maybe we have just become stupid from sitting in government schools for 12 years, losing the essential ability to question those in power and think for ourselves. Either way, the future of freedom in America appears dark indeed and perhaps we need a large dose of destructive socialism to get our pathetic minds to realize we’ve all been had by the false promises of lying and hypocritical demagogues. 

It’s actually kind of funny in a sadistic way, watching the circus that is American politics, where professional liars are raised to levels gods could only hope to occupy, where gullible voters are presented a false choice between two equally vile human beings who lust for absolute power over others. So I urge all to join me on Nov. 4 as I watch the sadly laughable spectacle from the sidelines, not casting my vote for either fraud while America inevitably ushers in no change, but merely slaps a new face on the status quo.

Timothy Heacock

Staff Columnist

9 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “The lesser of two evils is still evil”

1. Tiffany says:

Tim… regarding your last comment… thank you. It’s about time I read something interesting, well argued, and relevent in the opinion column here (before half the school starts squaking, I’m not saying it never happens, it just doesn’t seem to happen often enough); people get too defensive too often and avoid making any good points. On that note… do you wonder why responses would need to be personal attacks? I know I’m curious. Why not just base an argument on the issues? Does anybody else notice that when comments are typed properly, they seem to carry much more weight than those pecked in with obvious personal tones?

Well either way, I look forward to many interesting articles.

2. Tim Heacock says:

Yes Sara you have helped me a little. If you are Sara Phillips, the one who grilled Felipe Yanez, I am glad to not incur the full force of your wrath. I hope to change your perception of the paper as a rag with my columns. I agree the opinion section was lacking and that is part of the reason I started writing.

3. Sara says:

i hope you’ve noticed how much your arguments have evolved since your initial editorial. and i’m glad you picked up that not paying taxes is ridiculous, because not voting is too. as far as my comments being an ad hominem attack (not ad homenin), i could’ve gotten a lot more personal, trust me.

4. Scott says:

Tim,

Perhaps you should not concern yourself so much with convincing blind people they can’t see.

5. Tim Heacock says:

Wow! Thanks for the replies everybody, I love a debate. I in no way meant to be defensive in my first response and apologize if anyone felt that way. I prefer to have civil discussions about these important issues.

“we should give up completely on making the world a better place?” No AMF, I wish to make the world a much better place by educating people about the true nature of our government and to point out a better way. Perhaps I am giving up too quickly on this system but in no way can you say today’s system even comes close to resembling that instituted by the founders. In fact, Patrick Henry despised the Constitution and thought it a betrayal of the Revolution. Jefferson didn’t help draft it at all. The Constitution was subverted from almost day one and now no branch of the government follows it.

“your logic is so skewed i don’t know where to begin. so i won’t touch the editorial.” Thanks for the ad homenin attack, it adds to the discussion. It would be helpful to point out where my logic is “skewed.” No, not voting is not my “triumphant rebellion against the US government.” I am choosing not to vote this election because there are no candidates who share the majority of my views. I suppose I could write in Ron Paul. Perhaps I’ll do that, I just refuse to vote for any of the candidates running, especially Obama and McCain.

Writing to my congressman will do nothing, he doesn’t care what I have to say, he’s a neocon. Not paying taxes is idiotic as I can do far less good in a government prison. Moving to another country is an interesting idea but unfortunately most of the desirable places to live are the same or worse than the US. I’d like to make the US the beacon of liberty it once was, to show the world that a free economy and small government combine to make the most prosperous nation ever.

So I must “feel lucky” to get to vote for these despicable people that only perpetuate the two-party charade? Voting will not change anything until the masses wake up. My advice: vote out every single incumbent at all levels of government. I’m starting to convince myself that maybe I should vote just to vote against the incumbents. Imagine that, all incumbents voted out, the talking heads on TV would be stunnned. That would be a start.

6. Sara says:

first of all. you stopped being able to go about your business when you shared your opinions with the student body. that is asking for input. your logic is so skewed i don’t know where to begin. so i won’t touch the editorial. i am only responding to your defensive post. seriously? not voting is your triumphant rebellion against the us government? why don’t you form a coalition? write letters to your congressman? stop paying taxes? move to another country in which you find your ideals more clearly represented.

thomas jefferson and patrick henry fought against taxation without representation, quartering hostile soldiers, and a number of other offenses we absolutely have never dealt with. maybe you feel you are taxed without representation because you don’t vote?

if you want change you have to make it. and there is no other place on earth where that is more possible than in the United States of America. you are really lucky to have been born here. voting is not a right, it’s a privilege that billions in this world are not afforded. feel as lucky as you are, because so many others do not get to.

7. AMF says:

So, what is it you’re saying? That we should give up completely on making the world a better place? I personally agree with Ashley Falcon, and think you’re giving up too quickly on a system the founding fathers, Jefferson et al, set up.

8. Tim Heacock says:

Ms. Falcon raises some interesting points in response to my article that need to be addressed. You’re right when you say governments derive their powers “from the consent of the governed;” I completely agree. Only thing is, I have withdrawn my consent from the US government. Voting in the election means I give my consent to the government so I won’t do it.
    Maybe when over 50% of the population declines to participate in this charade our rulers will get the message that we know the elections don’t matter. My ancestors fought for the secession of the American colonies from the British Empire for abuses that are more than routine today.
    I like your Jefferson quote but here is a better one: “God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion…what country can preserve its liberties, if it’s rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance?”
    The American people have long lost the spirit of resistance to centralized power and that is a shame. Unfortunately, the system cannot be changed from the inside any longer. It is far too corrupt and long ago the government shamelessly stepped far over its bounds detailed in the Constitution.
    So please get off your high horse and let me go about my business as I strike at the root of evil while you and yours hack at its branches (although I doubt you share any of my views).

9. Timothy voices frustrations that are shared by many people. In a world where much is wrong and many are suffering, it is difficult to muster up hope that things can improve – especially when the options seem less than enlightened. I respectfully disagree with his analysis, and feel that there are clear contrasts between the presidential candidates and the directions in which they want to take this country; however, what saddens me greatly is Timothy’s last sentence. If there is to be any hope for change or improvements of any kind, people cannot underestimate the importance of their involvement. If you take no action, fail to voice your opinions, and neglect to stand up for the best interests of the American people, how can you expect there to be any change? In fact, you can almost guarantee that things will stay the same or take a turn for the worse. To suggest that not voting is in some way the best option is a serious miscalculation, and fails to acknowledge the responsibilities laid upon us by Jefferson and all of Timothy’s astutely branded ‘defenders of liberty’. Within the preamble of the Declaration of the Independence, there is an assertion that government derives its powers, “from the consent of the governed,” and goes on to say that it is not only our right, but our duty, to stand up in opposition when our rights are not being honored. That duty of ours comes in many forms, the most sacred of which is our vote. But it is also important to appreciate that one vote every four years does not satisfy your civic duty, and will not usher forth the change that is so deeply needed. Gandhi said it best, “be the change you want to see in the world.” So, if we really truly don’t want more of the same, I’d encourage Timothy and the rest of the eligible voters who don’t vote (~46% of the population) to get off the sidelines and start making waves.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...