Law and medical schools ranked high for Hispanic students

The University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine and the School of Law are ranked in the top 10 in the country for Hispanic students. 

According to the 2008 Diversity Report in the September issue of Hispanic Business magazine, the Miller School is one of the best medical schools in the country for Hispanic students for the third year in a row. The law school was ranked eighth.

“We are proud to be in the top ranks of medical schools for Hispanic students and to have our commitment to diversity recognized in this way,” said senior vice president for medical affairs and dean of the Miller School of Medicine, Pascal Goldschmidt. 

In the law school, one third of students are minorities and almost half of them speak one or more foreign languages. Many graduates have gone on to be prominent lawyers in Miami’s Latin community. 

“We are very pleased that the University of Miami School of Law is once again included in the top 10 ranking by Hispanic Business magazine,” said Paul Verkuil, dean of the School of Law. “This speaks to our continued dedication to fostering diversity in legal education and the legal profession today.”

Rankings for the 2008 Best Schools for Hispanics report are based on questionnaires sent in by the schools, enrollment, the percentage of Hispanic faculty, the number of programs that recruit Hispanic students, retention rates and student services.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Law and medical schools ranked high for Hispanic students”

1. Janet Stearns says:

Dear Johny Reb,
    We find this comment particularly insulting and racist towards our Hispanic law students and alumni. I add for your reference an article written last year by former Dean Dennis Lynch highlighting the important role that Hispanics play in the tradition of our diverse law school. This article appeared in the Miami Herald. We celebrate this diversity every day.

______________________________________

On Sunday, October 15th, 2006, the Miami Herald published an op ed article written by Dean Dennis O. Lynch, addressing diversity issues and Hispanic Heritage Month. In it, Dean Lynch reflects on the role UM Law School has played in the legal education of Hispanics in the last several decades and the contributions of UM Law School’s Hispanic alumni at the local, national, and international levels.

Instead of erecting fences, remember our traditions
    By: Dennis O. Lynch

For many people, Hispanic Heritage Month passes without much notice. This year, amid the acrimonious debate surrounding immigration issues in this nation of immigrants, it seems like an appropriate time to reflect on the importance of the continuing growth, vitality and success of our Hispanic population.

Miami, a modern and diverse metropolis with one of the most prosperous groups of Hispanics, is a prime example of the long-term benefits a community reaps when it welcomes and assists immigrants as they establish themselves in a new land. Cuban lawyers offer a case in point.

In the 1960s, hundreds of Cuban lawyers living in Miami, refugees from Fidel Castro’s regime, could not practice their profession because they were not licensed in Florida. They were forced to take menial jobs to support their families. The University of Miami Law School and the University of Florida Law School reached out to assist them. In partnership with the Florida Bar and the Florida Supreme Court, members of each law school faculty developed their own special curriculum to prepare them for the Florida Bar Exam. The UM Cuban Lawyers Program enabled many Cuban-trained lawyers to resume their careers as practicing attorneys.

More than 30 years later, our commitment to providing an excellent education to our students — a body that fortunately includes many Hispanics from all over the Americas — is stronger than ever.

The UM School of Law was recently ranked as the No. 2 law school in the country for Hispanic students by Hispanic Business Magazine. In fact, the magazine has ranked the School of Law among the top 10 law schools for Hispanic students in eight out of the last nine years, and six of those years the magazine has ranked the School of Law either first or second. This recognition reflects the number of Hispanic students we enroll, the depth and quality of the curriculum we offer them, and the outstanding faculty who trains them.

But that is not all it reflects. We are located in Miami, where the Hispanic success story is palpable at every level. Our students are surrounded by a prominent and thriving Hispanic community of successful professionals, executives, business people, entrepreneurs, politicians and judges. Thus, our students benefit from one of the best legal educations available in the country while observing and working with Hispanics who are making significant contributions and high-level, far-reaching decisions on a daily basis.

After only one generation, our alumni feature prominently in this success story.

In the public sector, incoming Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio; Miami Mayor Manny Diaz; Raquel Rodriguez, general counsel to Gov. Jeb Bush; and Cristina Mendoza, general counsel of Florida International University, hold important decision-making and advisory roles.

In the bench and bar, Federal Judges Federico Moreno, Jose Martinez and Adalberto Jordan sit in one of the busiest courts in the country; and Frank Angones, president-elect of the Florida Bar, is the first Hispanic to lead the institution.

In the private sector, Alberto Mora, former general counsel to the U.S. Department of the Navy and now general counsel for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.’s international division; Aileen Ugalde, general counsel of the University of Miami; and Carlos de la Cruz, president and CEO of Eagle Brands, Inc., form part of the leadership of some of the largest institutions and companies in our community and the country.

At our UM Law School, we not only educate Hispanic law students in substantial numbers; we train them to assume positions of influence in their communities, throughout the country and internationally. We prepare them to use their legal skills in transformative ways. We encourage them to ”think big” and give them the necessary tools to fulfill their ambitions and reach their goals. In short, we expect them to become the leaders of their generation.

We are proud of our Hispanic alumni’s response to this call. In the process, they have become a living testament to the value of diversity in this nation.

In these times when some want to erect fences around our borders, let us not forget our better traditions. Let us reinforce the bridges that support and nourish our commitment to success and excellence.

Dennis Lynch is dean of the University of Miami School of Law.

2. Johnny_Reb says:

Great. Now UM is only ranked as #82 in the Law School listing from US News & World report (you know, the real world rankings). The majority of Hispanics at the law school are the dumbest people I have ever met in my life! Seriously, I would not trust these people to mow my lawn or wash my dishes since they would only cause a mess.

Seriously, you are likelier to find smarter Latinos at the local Home Depot on 8th Street in the morning than at the UM Law School. It must be due to the fact that there are several centuries worth of inbreeding that would lead to this level of retardation among a whole group of people. Most of the Hispanics at UM are of Cuban origin meaning that they are descendants of Castro’s rejects. I can’t wait till the Communists leave power on the island of Cuba so we can throw all these cockroaches back to where they came from, whether they want to go or or not!

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...