Soccer

Freshman goalie vital part of team

STOPPED: Freshman Vikki Alonzo saves a shot on goal from Purdue Wednesday night. The Hurricanes won the game, 2-0. Photo by Billy Gilbert // Hurricane Staff.

Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Dickinson and Vikki Alonzo.

There seems to be more than meets the eye when it comes to the freshman goalkeeper for the No. 26 team in the nation.

A self-proclaimed poet, Alonzo was recently named ACC Women’s Soccer Player of the Week and Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week after recording her fourth shutout in five games to start the season.

The 5’6” public relations and marketing major, who is one of seven freshmen on the team, feels at home in the goal, donning a rather interesting uniform.

“I wear yellow and black,” Alonzo said. “I like to stand out.”

And that’s just what she’s been doing since becoming the starting keeper for the Hurricanes, replacing the program’s most accomplished goalie, Lauren McAdam.

“I’m going to try to fill her shoes,” Alonzo said. “Or her cleats, I should say.”

In the first match of the season against Stetson, Alonzo blocked a penalty kick late in the game to preserve her first collegiate shutout and a 3-0 victory for Miami.

“The most important skill is to be mentally tough and believe you’re the best,” Alonzo said. “If you don’t believe and have confidence in yourself when you’re on that field, there is no point in stepping out.”

A native of Carrollton, Texas, Alonzo has been playing soccer since she was six, though it wasn’t until her second year on the club level that she made the switch from forward to goalie.

Choosing Miami over Louisiana State University and the University of Texas at El Paso for its family environment and atmosphere, the eldest of three siblings couldn’t be further away from home.

“It’s a lot different from Texas,” Alonzo said. “It’s a lot more interesting out here.”

On the team’s first road trip, No. 00 didn’t need to make a save in a 3-0 win against Arkansas-Little Rock, and she has only seen and faced 18 shots on goal the entire season.

“Defense usually doesn’t get the recognition it deserves, but it’s the key to our success and determination,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “The defense is driving our team.” 

Thanks to the play of Alonzo and others such as sophomore forward Brittney Steinbruch, who has scored in each game so far Miami (5-0-0) hopes to win a program-best six straight when it hosts Purdue Wednesday night at Cobb Stadium.

“I never feel like I’m the last line of the defense [as goalie]because my team always has my back,” Alonzo said.

Since the season started, however, the soccer-playing poet has been neglecting her favorite hobby off the field.

Even if Alonzo writes rhymes as well as she stops shots, an anthology will just have to wait until the keeper and her teammates are satisfied with beating their opponents and making it to the NCAA Tournament.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

When the 2018 recruiting cycle came to an end in February, Miami, Florida and Florida State all fini ...

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...