Venue Feature: Under-the-radar hipster heaven

PHOTO ILLUSTRATION // JAMIE STRAZ

PHOTO ILLUSTRATION // JAMIE STRAZ

In the oversaturated, over-drugged and over-sexed haven of Miami, there are few nightspots left that haven’t been tapped into yet in a big way. These under-the-radar clubs and lounges are amazing destinations for a night out with friends or a date you’re trying to impress with your nightlife know-how. One of these places is White Room, in the design district in downtown Miami.

White Room is located downtown between random old buildings and factories a few blocks off of US-1, but don’t be fooled by its surroundings. As soon as you enter White Room, you know you’re in for something you haven’t yet experienced in Miami – a relaxed outdoor/indoor venue with good music and genuinely fun people.

The first time this club was made relevant to a lot of people was when they hosted nightly events during 2007’s Winter Music Conference, and with guests like DJ A-Trak, Moby and Calvin Harris, music nerds from all corners of Miami gathered to their new favorite venue.

White Room consists of three sections: the White Room (fittingly), the main room, where there is a main stage either reserved for either performers or drunken females showing off sexy moves; the Red Room, a small section equipped with a bar, a DJ booth and a dance floor so intimate it may be hard to leave the room alone; and the outdoor section, a tropical escape for tired dancers, outfitted with cabanas and yet another bar.

Being only twenty minutes from campus, White Room is conveniently located and is just a $20 cab ride away. Though the drinks there may be a bit expensive, they’re roughly the same as any other Miami nightclub, but there is never a cover charge for parties.

In the off chance you don’t fall in love with White Room, it is one of three clubs on one street – the other two being hip-hop haven PS 14 and hipster locale the Vagabond. A promotions company called PopLife manages and plans parties at all three venues, and by bringing in different crowds, DJs and performers, there’s no end to the diversity you can experience on North Miami Avenue.

One unspoken requirement for a PopLife party, however, is to dress not only to impress but to damn near shock and awe. During any given night out at White Room, you might see anything from a suit cut into a short-sleeve shirt and shorts and accented with hi-tops, to a open-backed dress cut so low that one slight bend just might cause an unsuspecting man to fall out of his chair. So, be prepared to pull out that pastel tank-top and skinny jeans you’ve been too embarrassed to wear, because White Room is all about looking fresh and forward, but being comfortable while you do it.

If you’re stuck this weekend between the typical Grove, the expensive South Beach or an overcrowded house party, try out something new with White Room. Just make sure you don’t tell too many people you’re going, because the essence of White Room is that it’s a diamond in the rough of Miami.           

White Room is located at 1306 North Miami Avenue, Miami, FL. For more information, visit whiteroommiami.com or White Room’s MySpace page.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Venue Feature: Under-the-radar hipster heaven”

1. Reality Strikes says:

Your just got fucked owned danny… OWNED

2. mr. pachanga says:

Are you serious man? I mean really?

You didn’t quote anyone on this piece and didn’t do the proper research since you obviously can’t get into the party. Journalism 101 Dan, at least three sources.

White Room is more like a rough rock than a diamond in the rough by now. You’re a bit late on this one. Just cause White Room isn’t overflowing with UM kids doesn’t mean it’s ‘under-the-radar.’

Either muster up and earn the title of editor, or stand in line with the rest of the kids at Sunset Place for the Friday night release. ‘You’re out of your element Danny, you’re out of your element!’

3. nightowl says:

not to rip on you too hard Dan, but…you obviously know nothing about Miami nightlife.

I’m assuming you flashed your fake ID at the White Room and stumbled into a world of American Apparel clad Art Institute drop outs at their Saturday night party, PopLife – which, by the way, has been going on for 12 years now. If you want to talk about untapped, you definitely missed your mark.

You obviously didn’t speak to anyone from Poplife or the White Room before writing this article. I’m beginning to seriously doubt you’ve ever even been there. You could’ve saved yourself had you simply picked up the phone or sent a message to anyone affiliated with either of these two organizations.

Get with the program or stick to the grove.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...