University Rathskeller lets students be at away game ‘in spirit’

FEELS LIKE HOME: Canes fans watch the UF game at the Rathskeller Saturday night. Many fans come to the Rat to watch away games. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

Students who are unable to attend this season’s away football games can feel as if they’re there “in spirit” at the University of Miami’s Rathskeller, students say. 

While Saturday’s UM football game took place in Gainesville, Fla., the Rat was jam-packed with a clamorous cluster of Canes who came to the on-campus restaurant to support their team from afar.

“The Rat is the next best place to watch the game because there are a lot of people here,” said Jacqueline Petro, a senior majoring in marine science. Petro added that for a rivalry game, she’d rather watch the game at the Rat than at an off-campus house party.

Sophomore Matt Levin, who was described by friends as the “biggest Canes fan ever,” said that although he usually goes to the Rat to watch football games, he believes the main reason why other students go there is for convenience purposes. Levin, however, has other reasons.

“Why do I come here? To see Miami kick ass,” Levin said.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...