UM Student Health Center now open on Sundays

This year, University of Miami students who are sick on a Sunday will have one less problem to worry about. The UM Student Health Center will now be open from noon to 4 p.m. every Sunday.

Previously, the center was open on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m, and on Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Brandon Gross, now president of Student Government, pushed for the change last year when he was speaker of the Senate.

“I think it is beneficial to the students,” Gross said. “Before, people had to get sick during the week. If something happened on the weekend you had to wait until Monday to use the Health Center.”

Howard Anapol, director of Student Health Services, said the change was primarily due to this year’s policy prohibiting freshmen from having cars. Now, freshmen living on campus can receive health services on Sunday without having to drive.

The additional hours for this first semester were funded by reallocating money the Health Center currently holds. Continuation or expansion of this program will require additional resources.

Currently, the Health Center is planning to have one physician available on Sundays to meet the urgent needs of students.

Students that require routine care are encouraged to visit the center during  the week.

On Aug. 31, the first Sunday the Health Center was open, it was very busy despite the change not receiving large amounts of publicity, Anapol said.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...