University to remain open through Monday night, expects to open tomorrow as scheduled

Satellite Imagery of Hurricane Ike as of 1 p.m. Monday. NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER

The University of Miami will remain open as scheduled for the forseeable future, according to the school’s Crisis Decision Team.

As Hurricane Ike continues to track southward towards Cuba and away from South Florida, the threat posed from the storm continues to diminish. The CDT will meet again tonight at 6:30 p.m. to discuss any changes to the forecast, but the participants of the meeting clearly stated that they expected the university to open tomorrow.

As of the most recent update from the National Hurricane Center (11 a.m.), Hurricane Ike is a category two storm with sustained winds at 100 miles per hour located approximately 350 miles south southeast of the University of Miami campus, moving west at 14 m.p.h. The Miami metro area is expected to receive some impact from the storm, but it’s unknown how much at this point.

The university will be updating its storm website (www.miami.edu/prepare) and its Hurricane Hotline (305-284-5151) throughout the storm.

To follow the storm and what decisions the school will make, stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com or visit Storm Tracker at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...