University to remain open through Monday night, expects to open tomorrow as scheduled

Satellite Imagery of Hurricane Ike as of 1 p.m. Monday. NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER

The University of Miami will remain open as scheduled for the forseeable future, according to the school’s Crisis Decision Team.

As Hurricane Ike continues to track southward towards Cuba and away from South Florida, the threat posed from the storm continues to diminish. The CDT will meet again tonight at 6:30 p.m. to discuss any changes to the forecast, but the participants of the meeting clearly stated that they expected the university to open tomorrow.

As of the most recent update from the National Hurricane Center (11 a.m.), Hurricane Ike is a category two storm with sustained winds at 100 miles per hour located approximately 350 miles south southeast of the University of Miami campus, moving west at 14 m.p.h. The Miami metro area is expected to receive some impact from the storm, but it’s unknown how much at this point.

The university will be updating its storm website (www.miami.edu/prepare) and its Hurricane Hotline (305-284-5151) throughout the storm.

To follow the storm and what decisions the school will make, stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com or visit Storm Tracker at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...