University of Miami ‘business as usual’ Tuesday

Satellite Imagery of Hurricane Ike as of 7 p.m. Monday. NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER

The University of Miami will open as scheduled Tuesday, the Crisis Decision Team decided this afternoon, as the threat from Hurricane Ike continues to decrease.

As of the 5 p.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Ike was a category one storm, loacaed approximately 300 miles south of the University of Miami. After crossing the island of Cuba, the storm only has sustained winds of 80 miles per hour, and is traveling towards the west at 14 m.p.h., with an expected northwestern turn towards the Gulf of Mexico coming within the next 24 hours.

While there is a threat of severe weather associated with the storm, the CDT has determined that as of 6:30 p.m. Monday, the threat is not severe enough to close the school. All classes and events are going ahead as planned.

The university will be updating its storm website (www.miami.edu/prepare) and its Hurricane Hotline (305-284-5151) throughout the storm.

To follow the storm and what decisions the school will make, stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com or visit Storm Tracker at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...