University of Miami ‘business as usual’ Tuesday

Satellite Imagery of Hurricane Ike as of 7 p.m. Monday. NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER

The University of Miami will open as scheduled Tuesday, the Crisis Decision Team decided this afternoon, as the threat from Hurricane Ike continues to decrease.

As of the 5 p.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Ike was a category one storm, loacaed approximately 300 miles south of the University of Miami. After crossing the island of Cuba, the storm only has sustained winds of 80 miles per hour, and is traveling towards the west at 14 m.p.h., with an expected northwestern turn towards the Gulf of Mexico coming within the next 24 hours.

While there is a threat of severe weather associated with the storm, the CDT has determined that as of 6:30 p.m. Monday, the threat is not severe enough to close the school. All classes and events are going ahead as planned.

The university will be updating its storm website (www.miami.edu/prepare) and its Hurricane Hotline (305-284-5151) throughout the storm.

To follow the storm and what decisions the school will make, stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com or visit Storm Tracker at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...