University of Miami ‘business as usual’ Tuesday

Satellite Imagery of Hurricane Ike as of 7 p.m. Monday. NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER

The University of Miami will open as scheduled Tuesday, the Crisis Decision Team decided this afternoon, as the threat from Hurricane Ike continues to decrease.

As of the 5 p.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Ike was a category one storm, loacaed approximately 300 miles south of the University of Miami. After crossing the island of Cuba, the storm only has sustained winds of 80 miles per hour, and is traveling towards the west at 14 m.p.h., with an expected northwestern turn towards the Gulf of Mexico coming within the next 24 hours.

While there is a threat of severe weather associated with the storm, the CDT has determined that as of 6:30 p.m. Monday, the threat is not severe enough to close the school. All classes and events are going ahead as planned.

The university will be updating its storm website (www.miami.edu/prepare) and its Hurricane Hotline (305-284-5151) throughout the storm.

To follow the storm and what decisions the school will make, stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com or visit Storm Tracker at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...

A ninth-inning solo home from Pittsburgh proved the difference Friday night, as Miami dropped the se ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Straight-set victories at the top four singles positions brought the University of Miami men's ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...