UM’s Dialogue for Democracy invites notable speakers to campus

Through a series of events and speakers collectively known as the Dialogue for Democracy, the University of Miami is attempting to make its community more informed as the upcoming presidential election approaches. 

George Will, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist, will begin this series on Sept. 10.  

Other notable speakers to visit the UM campus include former MTV News reporter Gideon Yago, scheduled for Sept. 16, and husband-and-wife political strategists James Carville and Mary Matalin on Oct. 28. 

These and other speakers will cover the major issues of the campaign such as the economy, the Iraq War and health care. 

Other events in the Dialogue for Democracy include academic forums on education and global warming, lectures, panel discussions and debate watch parties.   

Tom Boswell, a geography professor, is the director of the Race, Ethnicity and Place Conference, a conference that is listed on the Dialogue for Democracy Web site. He hopes that the conference will “have an enlightening effect on the UM community.” 

“I hope it will be an educational factor and will help the university become more aware of the issues,” he said. 

Although the schedule has not been finalized, an up-to-date schedule is available at www.miami.edu/decision08.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...