UM’s Dialogue for Democracy invites notable speakers to campus

Through a series of events and speakers collectively known as the Dialogue for Democracy, the University of Miami is attempting to make its community more informed as the upcoming presidential election approaches. 

George Will, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist, will begin this series on Sept. 10.  

Other notable speakers to visit the UM campus include former MTV News reporter Gideon Yago, scheduled for Sept. 16, and husband-and-wife political strategists James Carville and Mary Matalin on Oct. 28. 

These and other speakers will cover the major issues of the campaign such as the economy, the Iraq War and health care. 

Other events in the Dialogue for Democracy include academic forums on education and global warming, lectures, panel discussions and debate watch parties.   

Tom Boswell, a geography professor, is the director of the Race, Ethnicity and Place Conference, a conference that is listed on the Dialogue for Democracy Web site. He hopes that the conference will “have an enlightening effect on the UM community.” 

“I hope it will be an educational factor and will help the university become more aware of the issues,” he said. 

Although the schedule has not been finalized, an up-to-date schedule is available at www.miami.edu/decision08.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...