UM’s Dialogue for Democracy invites notable speakers to campus

Through a series of events and speakers collectively known as the Dialogue for Democracy, the University of Miami is attempting to make its community more informed as the upcoming presidential election approaches. 

George Will, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist, will begin this series on Sept. 10.  

Other notable speakers to visit the UM campus include former MTV News reporter Gideon Yago, scheduled for Sept. 16, and husband-and-wife political strategists James Carville and Mary Matalin on Oct. 28. 

These and other speakers will cover the major issues of the campaign such as the economy, the Iraq War and health care. 

Other events in the Dialogue for Democracy include academic forums on education and global warming, lectures, panel discussions and debate watch parties.   

Tom Boswell, a geography professor, is the director of the Race, Ethnicity and Place Conference, a conference that is listed on the Dialogue for Democracy Web site. He hopes that the conference will “have an enlightening effect on the UM community.” 

“I hope it will be an educational factor and will help the university become more aware of the issues,” he said. 

Although the schedule has not been finalized, an up-to-date schedule is available at www.miami.edu/decision08.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...