Sports Briefs

Football

Adkins, Harris earn ACC weekly honors

Senior linebacker Spencer Adkins and freshman quarterback Jacory Harris garnered Atlantic Coast Conference honors from the league office on Monday after last Thursday’s 52-7 victory against Charleston Southern.

Harris, who went 16-for-26 with 160 yards in the air and accounted for two touchdowns in his first collegiate game, received Rookie of the Week.

Adkins and North Carolina’s E.J. Wilson split the title of Defensive Lineman of the Week, with the Canes defender tallying three solo tackles – two for a loss – and two sacks as the defense held the Buccaneers to 126 total yards.

Women’s Basketball

2008-2009 schedule released

Fourth-year head coach Katie Meier and the Hurricanes are slated to play eight games against NCAA Tournament teams and four WNIT teams as part of their 29-game schedule. 18 games will take place at the BankUnited Center.

The Canes open at home with Norfolk State on Nov. 14 and finish the regular season against Maryland on March 1.

Miami will also host three tournaments, including the ACC/Big Ten Women’s Basketball Challenge, for the second consecutive year, starting on Dec. 5. 

Rowing

Three added to coaching staff

Second-year head coach Robbie Tenenbaum announced the addition of Boban Rankovic, Margaret Matia and Joel Furtek to his coaching staff as the 2008-2009 season approaches. 

Rankovic, who competed in the Sydney Olympics in 2000, will assist with the varsity squad and recruiting. Matia, a former All-American, will serve as a novice coach. She comes to the staff after spending time in the nation’s capital over the past year. 

Furtek, a five-year head coach at North Carolina, will become the first full-time boatman/rigger stationed at the boathouse and will stay in charge of the rowing facility. 

Cross Country

2008 schedule released

The University of Miami cross country team announced its 2008 campaign, which starts this Friday as the Hurricanes host their only meet – the Greentree Invitational at Tropical Park.

Florida International, Florida Atlantic and Florida Gulf Coast will be on hand for the women’s race at 6 p.m. and the men’s at 6:30 p.m.

All but one of the other five meets the Hurricanes are participating in will be taking place in Florida, as preparation for the ACC Championship on Nov. 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C. 

Information compiled by Christina De Nicola from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...