Buyanovsky: Going from buying to blogging

Just a year ago, I couldn’t wait to get out of class on Tuesdays so I could stroll on over to Spec’s and check out and possibly purchase that day’s releases. Thus, by the end of the year I had a stack of plastic in my room higher than I’d like to admit. It felt good to support the music industry, even if it was $11.99 at a time, and somewhere deep down it seemed like artists would appreciate the plight of a broke student.

Then, by the time summer hit, I was jobless and more broke than ever – and the endless resources of the Internet came calling. One week and thousands of blog visits later, I’d heard just about every new song and album I’d wanted to hear (and even more stuff I wish I never did). In a few short days, the Internet converted me from a proud and broke student who hung out at record stores to a knowledgeable and less-broke student who hangs out on blogs downloading the newest songs from the indie-est of artists. 

Supporting the music industry is still important if you value it, but downloading new tracks from blogs is a different sort of support. By becoming a blogger or a blog-reader, you are immediately on the cutting edge of all new music – you know who’s hot, who’s going to be hot, and if they ever deserve to be – before Y100 and MTV tell you what to think. It’s an empowering feeling, and one that will educate you and help you discover what music you really like.

So, next time you get ready to go to Best Buy for that new Rihanna album or the Mamma Mia! soundtrack, take a look to see what the Internet is holding. 

Some sites recommended by EDGE: Imeem.Com, RCRDLBL.com, Pandora.com, Last.fm, Herfection.com, Blog.Rhapsody.com, Elitaste.com.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...