Buyanovsky: Going from buying to blogging

Just a year ago, I couldn’t wait to get out of class on Tuesdays so I could stroll on over to Spec’s and check out and possibly purchase that day’s releases. Thus, by the end of the year I had a stack of plastic in my room higher than I’d like to admit. It felt good to support the music industry, even if it was $11.99 at a time, and somewhere deep down it seemed like artists would appreciate the plight of a broke student.

Then, by the time summer hit, I was jobless and more broke than ever – and the endless resources of the Internet came calling. One week and thousands of blog visits later, I’d heard just about every new song and album I’d wanted to hear (and even more stuff I wish I never did). In a few short days, the Internet converted me from a proud and broke student who hung out at record stores to a knowledgeable and less-broke student who hangs out on blogs downloading the newest songs from the indie-est of artists. 

Supporting the music industry is still important if you value it, but downloading new tracks from blogs is a different sort of support. By becoming a blogger or a blog-reader, you are immediately on the cutting edge of all new music – you know who’s hot, who’s going to be hot, and if they ever deserve to be – before Y100 and MTV tell you what to think. It’s an empowering feeling, and one that will educate you and help you discover what music you really like.

So, next time you get ready to go to Best Buy for that new Rihanna album or the Mamma Mia! soundtrack, take a look to see what the Internet is holding. 

Some sites recommended by EDGE: Imeem.Com, RCRDLBL.com, Pandora.com, Last.fm, Herfection.com, Blog.Rhapsody.com, Elitaste.com.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...