‘Technologically savvy’ universities give free iPhones to students

Imagine if the University of Miami gave new Apple 3G iPhones to all incoming freshman as a way to adopt the latest technology. Sadly, that’s not happening here, but at Abilene Christian University in Texas and a handful of other universities, that’s exactly what they’re doing. 

By using wireless technology provided by AT&T in classrooms, students are capable of enabling real-time student polling and in-depth tracking, analysis and graphing of responses. Those students can also respond to classroom surveys and polls and have results displayed immediately. 

“I think it’s a sign that universities are becoming more technologically savvy, and they have to be if they want to attract the cream of the crop when it comes to incoming freshman,” said Nefra-Ann MacDonald, a senior who owns an iPhone. 

“The interactive response system is the latest example of our commitment to bring innovative technologies into the classroom for practical use by professors, teachers and students,” said Carl Done, vice president of Sales and Education for AT&T. 

These phones can work within a traditional classroom environment and for distance learning. For those teachers that require expensive clickers, a mobile application can be used on Web-enabled AT&T smart phones, eliminating the need for clickers or other classroom equipment. 

According to Turning Technologies, a developer of interactive response systems, more than 1,700 colleges and universities use the student response systems, but some students disagree with its use. 

“The claim that the university would use them as clickers to answer questions in class is a valid argument, although I am sure that there are cheaper alternatives than paying for all-new iPhones, such as in-class instruments that serve the same purpose,” said iPhone user Sebastian Lewis, a senior.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...