Football

Hurricane football depth chart reflects team’s youth

When glancing at the depth chart for the Miami Hurricanes opener, a few things jump out.

Obviously, the top line is confusing, as the team’s “starting” quarterback – Robert Marve – is not even listed due to a suspension.

Veteran mainstays such as Javarris James, Jason Fox and Reggie Youngblood are in their usual spots, although Youngblood is also listed as doubtful on the injury report with a head injury.

A lack of depth at defensive end concerns many, as both starters (Eric Moncur and Allen Bailey) are injured and top backup Adewale Ojomo is suspended.

However, most of all, the youth and change of the roster is reflected.

At quarterback, Jacory Harris is one of two true freshmen listed as starters. He will be the backup to Marve when Marve is reinstated. Marve, though, like Harris, has never thrown a collegiate pass.

At receiver, true freshmen Travis Benjamin and Aldarious Johnson are listed as backups, but they are expected to play like veterans. This is in addition to fellow freshmen LaRon Byrd, Davon Johnson and Jermaine McKenzie (redshirt), who are not listed but are expected to contribute.

On defense, defensive end Marcus Robinson is the only true freshman listed as a starter. However, several freshmen are expected to play right away on the defensive side of the ball.

On the line, Marcus Forston, Gavin Hardin, Andrew Smith and Micanor Regis should all see the field.

Linebackers Sean Spence and Jordan Futch, both true freshmen, are listed on the depth chart and will play a lot. Arthur Brown, another true freshman, will play on special teams and work into the defense as well.

In the secondary, more freshmen jump off the page, as Brandon Harris and Vaughn Telemaque both figure into the rotation early and often.

Overall, the depth chart is bottom heavy – loaded with freshmen, redshirt freshmen and sophomores. This reflects a team that plans to make a lot of noise in the years to come.

However, look for most of the heavy lifting to be done by the upperclassmen.

James and running mate Graig Cooper will be the focal point of the offense, and they will run behind a veteran offensive line. Additionally, the defense will be spearheaded by its linebacker corps, led by team leader Glenn Cook. Colin McCarthy, Daryl Sharpton, Romeo Davis and Spencer Adkins also will play big roles. They might sound familiar as they have been the core of this group for the past two seasons as well.

All in all, the depth chart is starting to get back to the talent needed for championship runs. It might not be pretty early on, but it is certainly promising.

Dan Stein

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...