Steven E. Chaykin, 57, Board of Trustees member

Steven E. Chaykin, 57, died on Aug. 13, as he attempted to save his wife after she fell in the Roaring Fork River near Aspen, Colo.

Chaykin earned his bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctorate from the University of Miami in 1973 and 1976 respectively.

After graduating, he was the president of the University of Miami Citizens Board from 2007 to 2008 and ex-officio member of the University of Miami Board of Trustees.

“He was a caring, loving and generous man,” said Herena Souto, assistant director of the Citizens Board. “Not only to his friends and family, but to the university as well.”

Chaykin was currently a shareholder at the law firm of Akerman and Senterfitt, where he focused on white-collar criminal defense, government investigations and securities litigation.

His professional achievements include being named Best of the Bar by South Florida Business Journal in 2006 and being named as a member of Florida Trend’s Legal Elite from 2004 to 2006.

He is survived by his wife Melissa and 10-year-old-daugther daughter, Sydney.

To view Chaykin’s online guestbook, visit www.legacy.com/Herald/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=114565462.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...