Real-life student health questions answered

Q: I’m going to a big party tonight but a huge zit just popped up on my face. What’s the fastest way to get rid of it?

A: There is nothing more fun than making out with a scruffy person, until you wake up the next morning with a huge zit on your face. Well, maybe that’s not how it happened, but I can tell you how to get rid of it quick and cheap. My favorite way to get rid of these pesky puss-filled boils is to use rubbing alcohol – yes, good old isopropyl alcohol from your local pharmacy. It’s also the main ingredient in most over-the-counter acne products. Another great zit remover is toothpaste. To get rid of the redness and ease swelling before your party, cover an ice cube in a paper towel and hold it against the sucker before applying the alcohol. If you have time, toothpaste it overnight. If you want to spend more, I have heard amazing things about the Proactiv Refining Mask (proactiv.com).

Q: I want to stay fit, but I still want to go out drinking. What are the healthiest, lowest-calorie alcoholic drinks that won’t sabotage my diet?

A: Skinny Bitch! Chill out, I’m not calling you that; it’s a drink. A Skinny Bitch is a mixed drink of vodka and Diet Coke. You want to stay fit but want to party which, as a chick in Miami, I completely understand. Also, vodka and Crystal Light is a great flavored drink. Just mix with ice and you’ve got a great low-cal, fruity drink. The problem is you’re going to have a hard time getting someone to serve you Crystal Light in the Grove. At the end of the day, though, there is no such thing as a healthy alcoholic drink; low-cal, yes, but if you want to be healthy, you have to stop drinking completely.

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...