Real-life student health questions answered

Q: I’m going to a big party tonight but a huge zit just popped up on my face. What’s the fastest way to get rid of it?

A: There is nothing more fun than making out with a scruffy person, until you wake up the next morning with a huge zit on your face. Well, maybe that’s not how it happened, but I can tell you how to get rid of it quick and cheap. My favorite way to get rid of these pesky puss-filled boils is to use rubbing alcohol – yes, good old isopropyl alcohol from your local pharmacy. It’s also the main ingredient in most over-the-counter acne products. Another great zit remover is toothpaste. To get rid of the redness and ease swelling before your party, cover an ice cube in a paper towel and hold it against the sucker before applying the alcohol. If you have time, toothpaste it overnight. If you want to spend more, I have heard amazing things about the Proactiv Refining Mask (proactiv.com).

Q: I want to stay fit, but I still want to go out drinking. What are the healthiest, lowest-calorie alcoholic drinks that won’t sabotage my diet?

A: Skinny Bitch! Chill out, I’m not calling you that; it’s a drink. A Skinny Bitch is a mixed drink of vodka and Diet Coke. You want to stay fit but want to party which, as a chick in Miami, I completely understand. Also, vodka and Crystal Light is a great flavored drink. Just mix with ice and you’ve got a great low-cal, fruity drink. The problem is you’re going to have a hard time getting someone to serve you Crystal Light in the Grove. At the end of the day, though, there is no such thing as a healthy alcoholic drink; low-cal, yes, but if you want to be healthy, you have to stop drinking completely.

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist