Marine science undergraduate students now included in Rosenstiel School

This year’s class of the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science will consist of both undergraduate and graduate students for the first time in the school’s history.

UM President Donna E. Shalala has shifted the full administration of the undergraduate programs for Marine and Atmospheric Science, Marine Affairs and Meteorology to the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

Before that, undergraduate study was a part of the College of Arts and Sciences for 30 years.

This year’s entering graduate class of 52 students is the largest class at the Rosenstiel School since 1994.

“The fact that this graduate class is larger than previous ones speaks to the relevance of environmental science and policy in today’s world, and students’ eagerness to better understand our planet and help improve our quality of life,” said Otis Brown, dean of the Rosenstiel School, in a press release. “We look forward to welcoming our graduate student body, and we are also pleased to be a part of this historic moment, where 95 talented students will be the first undergraduates to call Rosenstiel their ‘home school’ from their first day on campus.”

Edward Fishman and Erika Capek

Assistant News Editors

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...