Marine science undergraduate students now included in Rosenstiel School

This year’s class of the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science will consist of both undergraduate and graduate students for the first time in the school’s history.

UM President Donna E. Shalala has shifted the full administration of the undergraduate programs for Marine and Atmospheric Science, Marine Affairs and Meteorology to the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

Before that, undergraduate study was a part of the College of Arts and Sciences for 30 years.

This year’s entering graduate class of 52 students is the largest class at the Rosenstiel School since 1994.

“The fact that this graduate class is larger than previous ones speaks to the relevance of environmental science and policy in today’s world, and students’ eagerness to better understand our planet and help improve our quality of life,” said Otis Brown, dean of the Rosenstiel School, in a press release. “We look forward to welcoming our graduate student body, and we are also pleased to be a part of this historic moment, where 95 talented students will be the first undergraduates to call Rosenstiel their ‘home school’ from their first day on campus.”

Edward Fishman and Erika Capek

Assistant News Editors