Alan Swan, 74, School of Law professor

Alan Swan, a law professor at the University of Miami for the past 37 years, was killed June 8 in a hit-and-run automobile accident.

“Alan Swan was the example of good citizenship at the law school,” said Irwin P. Stotzky, a UM law professor and director of the Center for the Study of Human Rights. “He had goodwill, was extremely intelligent, hard working and a good friend.”

Swan, 74, was a prominent, national authority on international trade and business. Before coming to the university, he worked as the assistant general counsel for the U.S. Agency for International Development and for an international financial services law firm called Milbank, Tweed, Hadley and McCloy.

At UM, he was well-liked by his students and his most popular classes included international business transactions, international economic law, and commercial law.

“Professor Swan taught with a passion for the law and for his students that is seldom found in the teaching world,” Michael Serota, a third-year law student, posted on the Law School’s remembrance Web site for Alan Swan.

Swan is survived by his wife Mary Joe Swan, who is recovering from injuries she received from the same accident, and his three children, Alan Jr., Amalie Swan Johnson and Kathleen Swan.

To view Swan’s remembrance page, visit www.law.miami.edu/facadmin/memoriam/aswan/remembrances.php?op=4.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...