University open for normal business Monday

UPDATED AUG. 17 AT 5:54 P.M.

The university will open Monday morning as planned, the crisis decision team announced after its 5 p.m. meeting.

As of now, all previously scheduled orientation and move-in schedules remain in place, said Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Gilbert Arias.

The university continues to monitor the storm.

ORIGINAL STORY

As Tropical Storm Fay approaches South Florida, university operations will continue as usual for now, the crisis decision team announced after a noon meeting Sunday.

Facilities Planning will begin removing outdoor furniture and other movable objects Sunday afternoon.

The decision team will meet again Sunday at 5 p.m. to determine whether any other steps are needed.

President Donna E. Shalala, attending the Beijing Olympics, called in from China for the noon meeting.

For more information, call UM’s Hurricane Hotline at 305-284-5151 or visit www.miami.edu/prepare.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at bunch@miami.edu.

Matthew Bunch

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...