University open for normal business Monday

UPDATED AUG. 17 AT 5:54 P.M.

The university will open Monday morning as planned, the crisis decision team announced after its 5 p.m. meeting.

As of now, all previously scheduled orientation and move-in schedules remain in place, said Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Gilbert Arias.

The university continues to monitor the storm.

ORIGINAL STORY

As Tropical Storm Fay approaches South Florida, university operations will continue as usual for now, the crisis decision team announced after a noon meeting Sunday.

Facilities Planning will begin removing outdoor furniture and other movable objects Sunday afternoon.

The decision team will meet again Sunday at 5 p.m. to determine whether any other steps are needed.

President Donna E. Shalala, attending the Beijing Olympics, called in from China for the noon meeting.

For more information, call UM’s Hurricane Hotline at 305-284-5151 or visit www.miami.edu/prepare.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at bunch@miami.edu.

Matthew Bunch

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...