University open for normal business Monday

UPDATED AUG. 17 AT 5:54 P.M.

The university will open Monday morning as planned, the crisis decision team announced after its 5 p.m. meeting.

As of now, all previously scheduled orientation and move-in schedules remain in place, said Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Gilbert Arias.

The university continues to monitor the storm.

ORIGINAL STORY

As Tropical Storm Fay approaches South Florida, university operations will continue as usual for now, the crisis decision team announced after a noon meeting Sunday.

Facilities Planning will begin removing outdoor furniture and other movable objects Sunday afternoon.

The decision team will meet again Sunday at 5 p.m. to determine whether any other steps are needed.

President Donna E. Shalala, attending the Beijing Olympics, called in from China for the noon meeting.

For more information, call UM’s Hurricane Hotline at 305-284-5151 or visit www.miami.edu/prepare.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at bunch@miami.edu.

Matthew Bunch

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...