UM student found dead in South Miami home Saturday

Eddie Pieron, a 21 year-old University of Miami senior from Woodland Hills, Ca., was found slain Saturday in his South Miami home, police said Monday. Pieron studied biology and psychology, according to his Facebook profile.

A friend found Pieron’s body Saturday afternoon and ran to a neighbor’s house for help.

Neighbors told The Miami Herald that a party had been held at the house Friday night; Pieron’s birthday. Neighbors reported that the party continued into the early morning of Saturday.

“We went to bed kind of late, like 2 a.m., and they were still out there,” neighbor Justin Woodward, 28, told The Herald.

The case is being investigated as a homicide by Miami-Dade police.

Pieron is the second University of Miami student to perish in less than four months.

The other unrelated incident happened in early April when freshman Kelly Ann Jones fell from the third floor balcony of Mahoney Residential College on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus, dying shortly afterward. The cause of Jones’ death is still under investigation.

Friends have dedicated a Facebook group called “Remembering Eddie Pieron,” where people can leave their thoughts and memories.

Pieron is described by friends as a “great guy” who is “generous, loyal, easygoing, and without a malicious sinew in his body.”

UM senior Casey Contreary writes, “Eddie was my friend, my roommate, my brother – I’ll never forget the good times we had together.”

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “UM student found dead in South Miami home Saturday”

1. Sally Jane says:

some of these facts are very inaccurate. check your sources.

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...