Shalala to be honored with Presidential Medal of Freedom

SHOWING HER MEDAL: President Donna E. Shalala was selected by President George W. Bush to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She will receive her award alongside others in a White House ceremony on June 19. Image courtesy Media Relations

President Donna E. Shalala is now one of 400 others in the world to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Established in 1945 by President Truman, the medal is the nation’s highest civilian award and recognizes “exceptional meritorious service.”

“I am deeply honored by this special recognition. Both as an educator and a public servant, I have always considered it a duty and a privilege to serve my country and to promote the rights and responsibilities of being an engaged citizen of a free nation,” Shalala said in a press conference.

A White House ceremony will be held on Thursday, June 19 where President George W. Bush will honor those chosen.

Shalala became the longest serving U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services. She served for eight years, from 1993 to 2001. Then in 2007, President Bush appointed her to co-chair with Senator Bob Dole the Commission on Care for Returning Wounded Warriors. As a chair person, she assessed wounded service member’s transitions from active duty to civilian society.

In June 2001, Shalala became Professor of Political Science and President of the University of Miami. She has more than 25 years of experience as an accomplished scholar, teacher and administrator.

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

June 12, 2008

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...