Shalala to be honored with Presidential Medal of Freedom

SHOWING HER MEDAL: President Donna E. Shalala was selected by President George W. Bush to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She will receive her award alongside others in a White House ceremony on June 19. Image courtesy Media Relations

President Donna E. Shalala is now one of 400 others in the world to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Established in 1945 by President Truman, the medal is the nation’s highest civilian award and recognizes “exceptional meritorious service.”

“I am deeply honored by this special recognition. Both as an educator and a public servant, I have always considered it a duty and a privilege to serve my country and to promote the rights and responsibilities of being an engaged citizen of a free nation,” Shalala said in a press conference.

A White House ceremony will be held on Thursday, June 19 where President George W. Bush will honor those chosen.

Shalala became the longest serving U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services. She served for eight years, from 1993 to 2001. Then in 2007, President Bush appointed her to co-chair with Senator Bob Dole the Commission on Care for Returning Wounded Warriors. As a chair person, she assessed wounded service member’s transitions from active duty to civilian society.

In June 2001, Shalala became Professor of Political Science and President of the University of Miami. She has more than 25 years of experience as an accomplished scholar, teacher and administrator.

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

June 12, 2008

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...