Shalala to be honored with Presidential Medal of Freedom

SHOWING HER MEDAL: President Donna E. Shalala was selected by President George W. Bush to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She will receive her award alongside others in a White House ceremony on June 19. Image courtesy Media Relations

President Donna E. Shalala is now one of 400 others in the world to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Established in 1945 by President Truman, the medal is the nation’s highest civilian award and recognizes “exceptional meritorious service.”

“I am deeply honored by this special recognition. Both as an educator and a public servant, I have always considered it a duty and a privilege to serve my country and to promote the rights and responsibilities of being an engaged citizen of a free nation,” Shalala said in a press conference.

A White House ceremony will be held on Thursday, June 19 where President George W. Bush will honor those chosen.

Shalala became the longest serving U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services. She served for eight years, from 1993 to 2001. Then in 2007, President Bush appointed her to co-chair with Senator Bob Dole the Commission on Care for Returning Wounded Warriors. As a chair person, she assessed wounded service member’s transitions from active duty to civilian society.

In June 2001, Shalala became Professor of Political Science and President of the University of Miami. She has more than 25 years of experience as an accomplished scholar, teacher and administrator.

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

June 12, 2008

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...