BASEBALL: Miami well-represented in MLB draft

With the seventh pick of the 2008 Major League Baseball first-year player draft, the Cincinnati Reds selected junior first baseman Yonder Alonso, higher than experts had projected. That pick set the tone for a successful opening day for the No. 1 team in the country.

Alonso became the top college first baseman taken, ahead of junior Justin Smoak of the University of South Carolina, who was swept off the board by the Texas Rangers with the 11th pick.

Junior second baseman Jemile Weeks was chosen six players after Alonso at No. 12 by the Oakland Athletics. Weeks was previously selected in the eighth round of the 2005 draft by the Milwaukee Brewers, where his older brother Rickie is the starting second baseman.

The Minnesota Twins rounded out the first round for the Hurricanes with the 27th pick by selecting junior right-handed pitcher Carlos Gutierrez. The Twins have a history of choosing Canes; Alonso was taken by the organization in the 15th round of the 2005 draft.

The Seattle Mariners once again drafted right fielder Dennis Raben with the 66th selection overall in the second round. In 2005, the franchise selected Raben out of high school in the 49th round.

Junior center fielder Blake Tekotte heard his name called in the third round with the 101st pick by the San Diego Padres and sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski in the fourth round with the 129th selection by the Toronto Blue Jays.

Continuing coverage of both days of the draft at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex can be viewed live at MLB.com.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

June 5, 2008

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...