BASEBALL: Hurricanes earn nation’s No. 1 seed

SITTING, WATCHING, WAITING: Miami head coach Morris and the Hurricanes sit in their locker room, waiting to hear where they will be seeded in the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. The Hurricanes wound up with the No. 1 overall seed. Photo Credit: Christina De Nicole // Hurricane Staff

After hearing the good news that they would be hosting the Coral Gables Regional as the No. 1 national seed of 64 teams for the 2008 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship, Miami players and coaches watching the selection show in the clubhouse were thrown an unexpected curveball.

No. 2 seed Missouri (38-19), No. 3 Mississippi (37-24) and No. 4 Bethune-Cookman (36-20) are set to come to town this weekend in a surprise bracket that left some wondering how the top seed didn’t get matched up with the likes of Mt. St. Mary’s (21-32) or Texas Southern (16-32) in its regional instead of lower No. 1 seeds such as North Carolina or LSU.

Miami will take on Bethune-Cookman in the second game Friday at 4 p.m., following the match-up between Missouri and Mississippi. All games will air on ESPNU, with games at both 12 and 4 p.m. through Sunday, and the final game on Monday if necessary.

Both the Hurricanes and Wildcats made it into the tournament as automatic qualifiers as conference champions in the ACC and Mid-Eastern respectively.

The SEC led all conferences with nine teams selected, with the Big 12 and ACC close behind at six apiece, including four No. 1 seeds in Florida State, N.C. State, North Carolina and Miami.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

Ticket Information:

Ticket packages for the entire Coral Gables Regional are $90 for field box, $70 for chairback, $45 for adult general admission and $35 for youth, seniors and students. Single day tickets for each of the first three days of the regional are priced at $25 for field box, $20 for chairback, $15 for adult general admission and $10 for youth, seniors and students. If necessary, tickets for the fourth day of the regional are $20 for field box, $16 for chairback, $10 for adult general admission and $8 for youth, seniors and students. For more information, go to hurricanesports.com or call 1-800-GO-CANES (305-284-CANE in Miami-Dade).

May 26, 2008

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...