Hillary Clinton speaks at BankUnited Center

POSTED MAY 22 AT 2:08 A.M.

Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton made a campaign stop at the University of Miami Wednesday after splitting Tuesday’s primaries in Oregon and Kentucky, winning the latter by more than a 2-1 margin.

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

Hosted at the BankUnited Center, the rally came just 10 days before the Democratic National Committee will decide if it will seat Florida’s delegates at the party’s national convention in August. The event was called “Solutions for America,” but Clinton’s ideas for education, healthcare and the economy took a backseat to her fight for the nomination.

“After [Tuesday] night, after my very big win in Kentucky, I have added to my vote total,” she said. She added, including the Florida and Michigan votes, “More people have voted for me than they have for my opponent.”

Clinton drew on memories from the 2000 election ballot controversy in Florida to encourage supporters to fight for their “votes to count.” The DNC stripped Florida, along with Michigan, of the right to seat delegates at the Denver convention in August because the states moved the dates of their primaries to before the Feb. 5 “Super Tuesday.”

The New York senator, who won Florida, wants the state to be counted so she can close the gap in the delegate count between her and Sen. Barack Obama.

“We cannot have a nominee who only represents 48 out of 50 states,” she said. “It is clear to me that the voters of Florida not only should have their votes counted so your choice for president is recognized, but [because]we want to win Florida in the fall.”

Leading up to the Florida and Michigan primaries, Clinton and Obama agreed to the party’s decision by not campaigning in the state.

Clinton said she is also putting up a fight for future contests, all the way through the Montana and South Dakota primaries on June 3.

“What separates [Obama and I] are less than 200 delegates out of 4,400,” she said. “Neither one of us will have the necessary delegates to get the nomination at the end of this process. That’s why it’s so important that we continue these elections.”

Ross Green, a junior who attended Wednesday’s event, said he felt like he was watching the “last nail in the coffin of Hillary’s nomination bid being hammered home.” But still, he said he admired her determination.

“She’s a fighter, she’s tough,” he said. “I think that for her to just roll over and let Obama have the nomination would be unbecoming of her.”

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala, former Secretary of Health and Human Services under President Bill Clinton, addressed the audience moments before Clinton took the stage. While acknowledging that she and the senator have been friends for over 30 years, she said that UM’s status as a not-for-profit organization means it does not endorse political candidates.

Clinton was last at UM in September, when she and Obama joined other Democratic hopefuls in the first-ever national political debate to be broadcast in Spanish, Univision’s Foro Presedencial Democrata.

Wednesday night’s event was the third of its kind in Florida for Clinton Wednesday, following stops in Boca Raton and Sunrise.

Obama visited Tampa and Kissimmee Wednesday and will speak Friday at 3:30 p.m. at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise.

Nick Maslow may be contacted at nick@miami.edu.

May 22, 2008

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...