Hillary Clinton coming to campus

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

POSTED MAY 21 AT 3:02 A.M.
UPDATED MAY 21 AT 10:01 A.M.

After splitting Tuesday’s primaries with her rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton will be visiting Coral Gables today, laying out her argument for why she should be the party’s presidential nominee in November.

Clinton is scheduled to speak at an event titled, “Solutions for America,” which begins at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 6 p.m. to the public. Audience members will be permitted to bring still cameras to the event, a change from previous political events hosted at the arena.

Obama is also scheduled to be in Florida today, ending a campaign boycott of the state that began last year when the Republican-controlled state legislature moved the Florida primary to Jan. 29, in defiance of party rules.

He will speak Friday at 3:30 p.m. at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise. Doors open at 2 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

The Democratic National Committee said Florida, along with Michigan, which also moved its primary, would not have its delegates seated at the national convention in Denver. Clinton’s hope for winning the party’s nomination hinges on the seating of Florida and Michigan’s delegates at the August gathering.

A decision regarding the delegates will be made May 31, when the DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee determines how delegates will be seated at the convention.

Both Obama and Clinton were part of Univision’s Foro Presedencial Democrata last September at the BankUnited Center because the event was a forum, and not a specific campaign event.

For more on Senator Clinton’s visit to campus, visit The Miami Hurricane for updates later today.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at bunch@miami.edu.

Update: The time that the doors will open and when Clinton will speak have been updated based on a more recent press release.

May 21, 2008

Matthew Bunch

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...