Hillary Clinton coming to campus

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

POSTED MAY 21 AT 3:02 A.M.
UPDATED MAY 21 AT 10:01 A.M.

After splitting Tuesday’s primaries with her rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton will be visiting Coral Gables today, laying out her argument for why she should be the party’s presidential nominee in November.

Clinton is scheduled to speak at an event titled, “Solutions for America,” which begins at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 6 p.m. to the public. Audience members will be permitted to bring still cameras to the event, a change from previous political events hosted at the arena.

Obama is also scheduled to be in Florida today, ending a campaign boycott of the state that began last year when the Republican-controlled state legislature moved the Florida primary to Jan. 29, in defiance of party rules.

He will speak Friday at 3:30 p.m. at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise. Doors open at 2 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

The Democratic National Committee said Florida, along with Michigan, which also moved its primary, would not have its delegates seated at the national convention in Denver. Clinton’s hope for winning the party’s nomination hinges on the seating of Florida and Michigan’s delegates at the August gathering.

A decision regarding the delegates will be made May 31, when the DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee determines how delegates will be seated at the convention.

Both Obama and Clinton were part of Univision’s Foro Presedencial Democrata last September at the BankUnited Center because the event was a forum, and not a specific campaign event.

For more on Senator Clinton’s visit to campus, visit The Miami Hurricane for updates later today.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at bunch@miami.edu.

Update: The time that the doors will open and when Clinton will speak have been updated based on a more recent press release.

May 21, 2008

Matthew Bunch

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...