Hillary Clinton coming to campus

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

POSTED MAY 21 AT 3:02 A.M.
UPDATED MAY 21 AT 10:01 A.M.

After splitting Tuesday’s primaries with her rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton will be visiting Coral Gables today, laying out her argument for why she should be the party’s presidential nominee in November.

Clinton is scheduled to speak at an event titled, “Solutions for America,” which begins at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 6 p.m. to the public. Audience members will be permitted to bring still cameras to the event, a change from previous political events hosted at the arena.

Obama is also scheduled to be in Florida today, ending a campaign boycott of the state that began last year when the Republican-controlled state legislature moved the Florida primary to Jan. 29, in defiance of party rules.

He will speak Friday at 3:30 p.m. at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise. Doors open at 2 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

The Democratic National Committee said Florida, along with Michigan, which also moved its primary, would not have its delegates seated at the national convention in Denver. Clinton’s hope for winning the party’s nomination hinges on the seating of Florida and Michigan’s delegates at the August gathering.

A decision regarding the delegates will be made May 31, when the DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee determines how delegates will be seated at the convention.

Both Obama and Clinton were part of Univision’s Foro Presedencial Democrata last September at the BankUnited Center because the event was a forum, and not a specific campaign event.

For more on Senator Clinton’s visit to campus, visit The Miami Hurricane for updates later today.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at bunch@miami.edu.

Update: The time that the doors will open and when Clinton will speak have been updated based on a more recent press release.

May 21, 2008

Matthew Bunch

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...