BASEBALL: Canes take care of Tigers

Top-seeded Miami defeated eighth seed Clemson 7-1 Wednesday afternoon on the first day of the ACC tournament in Jacksonville.

ACC Freshman of the Year Chris Hernandez (11-0) threw eight shut-out innings for Miami (44-8, 24-5) and struck out ten batters, five of the first six, as Clemson (30-26-1) starter D.J. Mitchell (6-5) took the loss.

Sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski hit his 12th double of the season to left field in the first inning after Mitchell put juniors Jemile Weeks and Yonder Alonso on with two straight walks and a wild pitch. Sophomore Ryan Jackson hit a sharp drive to center field for a base hit with two outs to score Sobolewski at third and give the Canes an early 3-0 lead.

Hernandez struck out the side in the second and five of the first six outs were

Freshman catcher Yasmani Grandal hit his fourth homer to right field with one out to extend the lead to 4-0 and freshman Joey Terdoslavich hit a two-run double in the sixth and advanced to third on an error by the right fielder with one out to make the score 6-0. It was the seventh hit of the ballgame. Senior centerfielder Blake Tekotte drove a ball to left field to bring home Terdoslavich to close Miami’s scoring for the day.

Clemson scored a run in the ninth as reliever P.J. Fisher faced some trouble.

No. 3 Miami will face Georgia Tech tomorrow at 5 p.m. The game will be televised on Fox Sports Net Florida (Channel 39 on campus) and broadcast on student radio 90.5 FM WVUM.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

May 21, 2008

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...