BASEBALL: Canes take care of Tigers

Top-seeded Miami defeated eighth seed Clemson 7-1 Wednesday afternoon on the first day of the ACC tournament in Jacksonville.

ACC Freshman of the Year Chris Hernandez (11-0) threw eight shut-out innings for Miami (44-8, 24-5) and struck out ten batters, five of the first six, as Clemson (30-26-1) starter D.J. Mitchell (6-5) took the loss.

Sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski hit his 12th double of the season to left field in the first inning after Mitchell put juniors Jemile Weeks and Yonder Alonso on with two straight walks and a wild pitch. Sophomore Ryan Jackson hit a sharp drive to center field for a base hit with two outs to score Sobolewski at third and give the Canes an early 3-0 lead.

Hernandez struck out the side in the second and five of the first six outs were

Freshman catcher Yasmani Grandal hit his fourth homer to right field with one out to extend the lead to 4-0 and freshman Joey Terdoslavich hit a two-run double in the sixth and advanced to third on an error by the right fielder with one out to make the score 6-0. It was the seventh hit of the ballgame. Senior centerfielder Blake Tekotte drove a ball to left field to bring home Terdoslavich to close Miami’s scoring for the day.

Clemson scored a run in the ninth as reliever P.J. Fisher faced some trouble.

No. 3 Miami will face Georgia Tech tomorrow at 5 p.m. The game will be televised on Fox Sports Net Florida (Channel 39 on campus) and broadcast on student radio 90.5 FM WVUM.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

May 21, 2008

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The University of Miami track and field team will wrap up the 2017 outdoor track and field regular s ...

The Miami Hurricanes travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a weekend series with host Boston College b ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...