BASEBALL: Canes take care of Tigers

Top-seeded Miami defeated eighth seed Clemson 7-1 Wednesday afternoon on the first day of the ACC tournament in Jacksonville.

ACC Freshman of the Year Chris Hernandez (11-0) threw eight shut-out innings for Miami (44-8, 24-5) and struck out ten batters, five of the first six, as Clemson (30-26-1) starter D.J. Mitchell (6-5) took the loss.

Sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski hit his 12th double of the season to left field in the first inning after Mitchell put juniors Jemile Weeks and Yonder Alonso on with two straight walks and a wild pitch. Sophomore Ryan Jackson hit a sharp drive to center field for a base hit with two outs to score Sobolewski at third and give the Canes an early 3-0 lead.

Hernandez struck out the side in the second and five of the first six outs were

Freshman catcher Yasmani Grandal hit his fourth homer to right field with one out to extend the lead to 4-0 and freshman Joey Terdoslavich hit a two-run double in the sixth and advanced to third on an error by the right fielder with one out to make the score 6-0. It was the seventh hit of the ballgame. Senior centerfielder Blake Tekotte drove a ball to left field to bring home Terdoslavich to close Miami’s scoring for the day.

Clemson scored a run in the ninth as reliever P.J. Fisher faced some trouble.

No. 3 Miami will face Georgia Tech tomorrow at 5 p.m. The game will be televised on Fox Sports Net Florida (Channel 39 on campus) and broadcast on student radio 90.5 FM WVUM.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.