SPORTS BRIEFS

FOOTBALL
Hurricanes keep draft streak alive with Kenny Phillips

University of Miami junior safety Kenny Phillips extended the Hurricanes’ record streak of players chosen in the first round of the NFL draft to 14 consecutive years. Phillips was the 31st overall pick, to the New York Giants, and he was the final pick in the first round.

Teammate Calais Campbell was selected in the second round, with the 50th overall pick, by the Arizona Cardinals. The third round saw Tavares Gooden come off the board, as he was selected No. 71 overall by the Baltimore Ravens.

BASKETBALL
Malcolm Grant joins team from Villanova

The University of Miami men’s basketball team recently added rising sophomore Malcolm Grant, as he signed a grant-in-aid to play for the Hurricanes.

Grant comes to Miami after having played his freshman season at Villanova. He will be eligible to play for the Canes starting with the 2009-10 season.

TRACK AND FIELD
Whyte named outdoor ACC MVP

University of Miami sophomore Kristy Whyte was recently selected as the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Most Valuable Performer of the Year in women’s outdoor track. The award is based on the votes of the 12 ACC coaches. Whyte won three overall titles at the 2008 ACC Outdoor Championships, as she took first in the 100-meter dash, the 200-meter dash and the 4X400-meter relay. She also finished second in the 4X200-meter relay.

VOLLEYBALL
Canes have strong showing

The University of Miami volleyball team recently finished up their spring exhibition season, as they competed at the Florida Division I Collegiate Beach Tournament.

The Canes finished one point shy of winning the overall tournament, but Angelica Ellis and Tatiana Alvarez did win the Bronze Division title. Ashley Woods and Cassie Loessberg finished second in the Gold Division.

Compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...