ROWING: Rowers dominate Jacksonville

The University of Miami rowing team put together a strong performance, as they swept all three races against Jacksonville University. The performance comes after Hurricanes juniors Laura Cordner and Kelly Amsler were named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference team earlier in the week.

The Hurricanes went into the meet against Jacksonville having rowed to an overall fifth place finish at the ACC championships.

The Hurricanes took first and second in the Varsity Eight race and the Varsity Four race, and they also took first place in the Novice Eight race, while their final team finished fifth in the Varsity Four race.

“I am proud of how hard we raced today after a very tough week in practice,” head coach Robbie Tenenbaum said. “Our two Varsity Eights were very close to each other, and it was fun to watch them battle back and forth throughout the race.”

In the Varsity Eight race, the Miami “A” team came in just ahead of the Miami “B” team, as they finished with times of 5:52.6 and 5:54.7, respectively. The Jacksonville team came in at a time of 6:05.0.

The Hurricanes’ bow half were the victors of the Varsity Four. In the Varsity Four, the Miami “C” team came in at a time of 6.12.1, while the Miami “B” team finished with a time of 6:22.7. The Jacksonville “A” team came in third, with a time of 6:27.6.

“We split up our Varsity Eight crew to get a little extra racing in,” Tenenbaum said. “They really went after this race and took command from the start.”

The Novice Eight team put together a solid showing, as they came from behind to win their race. They finished at 6:21.7, while Jacksonville had a time of 6.24.7.

“The Novices had a fantastic race today,” Tenenbaum added. “I was pleased with the way they were able to respond after falling behind early.”

The Hurricanes strong performance should give them some momentum, going into the South/Central Championships. The Championships will take place at Oak Ridge, Tenn. on May 17 to 18.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...