Rosenstiel dean Otis Brown to step down

POSTED MAY 6 AT 8:07 P.M.

Otis Brown, dean of the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science since 1995, revealed on Friday his decision to step down at the end of the 2008-2009 academic year.

After ending his term as dean, Brown will continue his research at UM, focusing on “several special projects which focus on science and society.”

“One [project]is an eco-system management project and the other is the transition of state-of-the-art hurricane forecast tools to operational settings,” Brown told The Miami Hurricane in an e-mail.

Having served as a member of the U.S. Ocean Commission’s science advisory panel and as a member of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Science Advisory Board, Brown is a prominent figure in the scientific community, recognized for his research in the integration of science and policy, and ocean studies.

Brown has been a faculty member at UM since 1974; his titles including chairman of the Division of Meteorology and Physical Oceanography from 1974 to 1989, and the associate dean for research from 1989 to 1994.

In 2006, Brown was honored with the Charles Franklin Brooks Award by the American Meteorological Society, a leading professional society in the field of atmospheric and related sciences.

“[My experience at UM] has been, and [still]is, very rewarding,” said Brown. “Only at a school like Rosenstiel does one have the opportunity to work with world-class scientists on a daily basis and see ways to measurably improve the way humanity lives on planet Earth.”

After Brown and law school dean Dennis O. Lynch – who announced his retirement in April 2007 – step down, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk of the School of Architecture will be the sole dean to not have been named during Donna E. Shalala became president of the university in 2001.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...