Rosenstiel dean Otis Brown to step down

POSTED MAY 6 AT 8:07 P.M.

Otis Brown, dean of the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science since 1995, revealed on Friday his decision to step down at the end of the 2008-2009 academic year.

After ending his term as dean, Brown will continue his research at UM, focusing on “several special projects which focus on science and society.”

“One [project]is an eco-system management project and the other is the transition of state-of-the-art hurricane forecast tools to operational settings,” Brown told The Miami Hurricane in an e-mail.

Having served as a member of the U.S. Ocean Commission’s science advisory panel and as a member of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Science Advisory Board, Brown is a prominent figure in the scientific community, recognized for his research in the integration of science and policy, and ocean studies.

Brown has been a faculty member at UM since 1974; his titles including chairman of the Division of Meteorology and Physical Oceanography from 1974 to 1989, and the associate dean for research from 1989 to 1994.

In 2006, Brown was honored with the Charles Franklin Brooks Award by the American Meteorological Society, a leading professional society in the field of atmospheric and related sciences.

“[My experience at UM] has been, and [still]is, very rewarding,” said Brown. “Only at a school like Rosenstiel does one have the opportunity to work with world-class scientists on a daily basis and see ways to measurably improve the way humanity lives on planet Earth.”

After Brown and law school dean Dennis O. Lynch – who announced his retirement in April 2007 – step down, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk of the School of Architecture will be the sole dean to not have been named during Donna E. Shalala became president of the university in 2001.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...