Get familiar with this summer’s hottest sounds

Summer is right around the corner, and there’s nothing quite like relaxing and just listening to some good music. A wide variety of pop, hip-hop and alternative rock should make your summer’s festivities exponentially more enjoyable. These albums, all scheduled to come out this summer, will keep your head noddin’, your toes tappin’, and your iPod rollin’.

Lil’ Wayne – Tha Carter III (Scheduled release date: June 10): Originally slated for a release last December, the last album in Tha Carter trilogy was delayed after several songs leaked on the Internet. This disc is jam-packed with guests, including Birdman, Jay-Z, Juelz Santana and Justin Timberlake. The first single, “Lollipop,” is already getting heavy airplay.

The Offspring – Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace (Scheduled release date: 6/17/08): This album has also been constantly pushed back and very little was released until a few weeks ago. The speculation is that the CD, their first in nearly five years, will be a throwback to their earlier days. Be on the lookout for “Hammerhead,” which hits airwaves May 6.

Weezer – Weezer (The Red Album) (Scheduled release date: June 24): The sixth studio album from these L.A. boys, this album is different from past Weezer efforts in that all four members of the group contribute songwriting and lead vocals. “Pork and Beans,” the first single, was just released, and it’s a response from the band after being told they needed to release more commercial material.

Gym Class Heroes – The Quilt (Scheduled release date: June 2008): Following up on their previous effort, As Cruel As School Children, GCH collaborated with the likes of Busta Rhymes, Cool and Dre, Lil’ Wayne, and plan to add some more star power. Lead singer Travis McCoy claims that their demos “are just bananas,” which is sure to please fans of the last album.

Upcoming releases of note:

Madonna’s Hard Candy, The Game’s LAX, Estelle’s Shine, N.E.R.D.’s Seeing Sounds, Santogold’s self-titled debut, Teyana Taylor’s From a Planet Called Harlem, Usher’s Here I Stand, Nelly’s Brass Knuckles and Ne-Yo’s Year of the Gentleman.

20 Hot Summer Jams

To throw the ultimate party or simply have a fun day at the beach with friends, a playlist of this summer’s hottest songs is essential. For a song to make this list, it had to have a summer/sunny theme, a beat that somehow reminds the listener of summer, or just be a feel-good, fun song that you have to sing along with.

Madonna’s “4 Minutes.” With feature vocals from Justin Timberlake and the infectious production of Timbaland, this catchy hit is going to survive the hot summer.
Lil’ Wayne’s “Lollipop.” Hip-hop fans hate it. Pop fans love it. Either way, you’ll be hearing this in clubs and on the beach all summer, so get used to it.

Usher’s “Love in this Club.” You hated it the first time, you warmed up to it after a few listens, and now you can’t wait to finish reading this so you can hear it again. The trio of Young Jeezy, Polow Da Don and Usher are going to be on the airwaves for a while.

Ray J’s “Sexy Can I.” The crooner, along with Yung Berg, bring the most catchy hook in recent memory to the radio for your listening pleasure.

Flo Rida’s “Elevator.” Timbaland lends his skills to the Miami native for yet another lighthearted radio smash.

Nelly’s “Party People”
Rick Ross’s “I’m a Boss”
Danity Kane’s “Damaged”
Lupe Fiasco’s “Paris, Tokyo”
Estelle’s “American Boy”

{ Under the Radar Hits }

Kid Cudi’s “Day ‘N Nite
(Crookers Remix)”
N.E.R.D.’s “Everyone Nose”
The Roots’ “Birthday Girl”
Wale’s “Elevator”
Cool Kids’ “Mikey Rocks” and
“Black Mags”
Surkin’s “White Knight 2” and
“Next of Kin”
B.o.B.’s “Haterz Everywhere”
Santogold’s “L.E.S. Artistes”
Boys Noize’s “Oh!”
Kid Sister’s “Control”

Joey Held may be contacted at j.held1@umiami.edu and
Dan Buyanovsky may be contacted at d.buyanovsky@umiami.edu.