Dorm security leaves much to be desired

In the year-and-a-half that I have attended the University of Miami, it has been made clear to me that the administration places a premium on student security. On more than one occasion, while passing a group of prospective students touring our campus, I have overheard the group leader boasting of the three layers of security protecting access to the residence halls (though those three layers are only in place after 10 p.m.).

Imagine my surprise when I returned to Eaton after class one evening only to discover that one of the inner doors, which is normally locked at all times, had been secured open with plastic zip-ties. I understand that relying on card readers to grant access to our dormitories is not the best option for security. This is painfully evident to anyone who lives on campus – we’ve all seen people wandering around the lobbies, waiting for someone to let them into a dorm, either because they forgot their Cane Cards, or because they are not residents of that particular dormitory. At least it’s something, right?

This is not the first time that I’ve noticed my dorm being open to anyone who walks in. That particular door has been propped open at least two other times this semester alone. With property theft at UM occurring as frequently as it does, and especially in light of a recent armed robbery on campus, one must wonder if the university administration really cares about our security, or is just concerned about appearances.

If the door is open because it is broken, fine. Post a security guard at that door until it is fixed to ensure that the only people who get in are those who are supposed to be there in the first place. Alternatively, lock the door and let students use one of the several other entrances into the dorm. More importantly, ensure that UNICCO (or whoever is responsible for maintaining the residence hall doors) already has the spare parts on hand to fix such a problem.

I want to attend a school that is safe, not one that looks safe.

– Casey Scott
Sophomore

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...