Carey brings consistent quality

Mariah Carey truly outdid herself with her latest album, E=MC2, which was released April 15.

The album’s first single “Touch My Body” became her 18th number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100, surpassing Elvis Presley’s record. The infectious hook and vocals have utterly taken over the radio since its release. Meanwhile, the album also marks Carey’s sixth number one album on the Billboard 200.

Carey’s latest effort takes her last album, The Emancipation of Mimi, to the next level, as the album title suggests. Carey’s vocals are mellower on her latest album, which features more hip-hop and reggae songs than love ballads. Carey masters the reggae genre in “Cruise Control,” which features Damian Marley. “I’ll Be Lovin’ U Long Time” is a completely new sound for the longtime singer that’s sure to appeal to a whole new audience.

Carey also collaborates with smash-single monster T-Pain on “Migrate” and rapper Young Jeezy on “Side Effects,” two of the best tracks on the album. With lyrics like “Wakin’ up scared some nights/Still dreaming ’bout the violent times,” “Side Effects” reveals a darker side of the songbird for the first time.

It is apparent that Mariah Carey put a lot of thought and energy into the production of her latest album as every last detail is masterfully perfected. Her lyrical genius really shines in the tracks “I Stay in Love” and “Thanks 4 Nothin’.” The fact that she writes all of her songs has contributed to the consistent quality of Carey’s albums. And as Carey’s most creative effort to date, E=MC2 is no exception.

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...