Carey brings consistent quality

Mariah Carey truly outdid herself with her latest album, E=MC2, which was released April 15.

The album’s first single “Touch My Body” became her 18th number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100, surpassing Elvis Presley’s record. The infectious hook and vocals have utterly taken over the radio since its release. Meanwhile, the album also marks Carey’s sixth number one album on the Billboard 200.

Carey’s latest effort takes her last album, The Emancipation of Mimi, to the next level, as the album title suggests. Carey’s vocals are mellower on her latest album, which features more hip-hop and reggae songs than love ballads. Carey masters the reggae genre in “Cruise Control,” which features Damian Marley. “I’ll Be Lovin’ U Long Time” is a completely new sound for the longtime singer that’s sure to appeal to a whole new audience.

Carey also collaborates with smash-single monster T-Pain on “Migrate” and rapper Young Jeezy on “Side Effects,” two of the best tracks on the album. With lyrics like “Wakin’ up scared some nights/Still dreaming ’bout the violent times,” “Side Effects” reveals a darker side of the songbird for the first time.

It is apparent that Mariah Carey put a lot of thought and energy into the production of her latest album as every last detail is masterfully perfected. Her lyrical genius really shines in the tracks “I Stay in Love” and “Thanks 4 Nothin’.” The fact that she writes all of her songs has contributed to the consistent quality of Carey’s albums. And as Carey’s most creative effort to date, E=MC2 is no exception.

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...