Breast Augmentation: do or don’t

According to the American Society for Plastic Surgeons, breast augmentation surgeries accounted for more than 35 percent of all plastic surgery procedures in 2005, and women aged 18-35 accounted for more than 25 percent of those procedures.

“I think that getting breast augmentation surgery is fine if it’s done for medical reasons,” sophomore Katie Zydel said. “A lot of girls get reductions to improve back pain and I think that’s fine. And I also know of someone who survived breast cancer and got

implants to bring her body back to normal. But for the girls who do it just to do it, I don’t think it’s the best idea.”

Doctors advise young patients, especially those interested in breast augmentations, to do the research and come in knowing both the benefits and risks of the procedure.

“Whenever you are putting something foreign into your body, in this case an implant, there is a great risk of infection, leakage, and abnormal immune system responses,” said Doctor Brian Lurie of St. Peter’s Medical Center in New Jersey.

Doctors also explain that in any surgery involving general anesthesia, or in which you are put to sleep, complications such as allergic reactions, blood pressure changes and heart rate increases are actually quite common.

Less than two weeks ago, a South-Florida teenager died from complications during a reconstructive breast surgery. Stephanie Kuleba, 18, of Boca Raton, Fla., had a fatal reaction to anesthesia causing her heart rate, metabolism and body temperature to drastically increase.

But even though complications and risks are extremely high, many teenagers and young adults still go under the knife.

“I know a few girls that have gotten plastic surgery, and even though I would never do it myself, I realize that people need to do whatever makes them happy,” said sophomore Nicole Schade. “Girls should be comfortable with themselves, but in the end it is ultimately their decision.”

Christa Ruggiero may be contacted at c.ruggiero@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...