BASEBALL: Canes sweep yet another ACC series

The University of Miami Hurricanes won another conference series, as the No. 1 Hurricanes proved to be too much for the No. 16 University of Virginia Cavaliers, sweeping the three-game series.

The Canes (36-5, 20-2 ACC) came into the weekend after losing to Florida International University last Wednesday, 6-3. This was only the second time this season that the Canes entered a weekend series having dropped a midweek game, and like the former occasion, the Canes swept their Atlantic Coast Conference opponent.

The series was marked by solid pitching from Miami, as they allowed only three runs in three games against the Cavaliers (32-15, 13-11 ACC), including throwing two shutouts to open and close the series. The shutouts were the first for the Hurricanes in the ACC since March 2006, and the last time the Canes posted two shutouts in a single series was in 1998 against Harvard. As a whole, the team posted a 0.64 ERA during the three game set.

On Friday, Miami pulled out a 1-0 victory, thanks to the arm of freshman pitcher Chris Hernandez and the bat of Blake Tekotte, who singled home Joey Terdoslavich in the sixth inning. Herdandez had a career-high 11 strikeouts through eight innings, another career best. The win improves him to 7-0 on the season.

Saturday’s game saw the Hurricanes quickly earn a 3-0 lead, before allowing the Cavaliers to climb back in and tie the game. The Canes eventually took the game in the 10th inning, as Jemile Weeks scored the game-winning run on a throwing error. The extra innings victory was the improved the Canes to 3-0 in extra inning games, and it was the third time the Canes have had a walk-off win this season.

After a quiet start to the weekend for the Hurricanes’ bats, Sunday turned into what people are more used to seeing from the Hurricanes’ offense. Enrique Garcia threw seven strong innings, allowing only three hits and no runs, while Mark Sobolewski tied a career high by driving in six runs on three hits, propelling the Hurricanes to a 10-0 victory.

The three-game sweep gives the Hurricanes 20 ACC wins, the most the team has ever had in conference play. The Miami baseball team was unaffiliated before 2005.

The Hurricanes have no mid-week game this week, and will next play at home against St. Mary’s Friday. First pitch at Mark Light Field is at 7 p.m.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...