Unpredictability saves ‘Kings’

To some, Keanu Reeves will never be able to shake off that mediocre acting and his “whoa, dude” mentality. But in Street Kings, an L.A crime drama that also stars Forest Whitaker and House’s Hugh Laurie, Reeves has a few moments of badass brilliance.

Reeves plays Detective Tom Ludlow, who stops crooks in less-than-ethical ways. But Ludlow isn’t the only bad cop in his precinct, as his boss Captain Jack Wander (Whitaker) plays a big part in the corruption of the Los Angeles Police Department.

Directed by David Ayer (Training Day), Street Kings looks like just another average cop drama with rapper cameos. But what makes this film stand out is its unique blend of unexpected turns and interesting casting selections. Rapper Common shines in his few scenes as a thugged-out drug kingpin, while Jay Mohr takes a break from his previous funny-guy roles to play a convincing police officer.

At times, it can be difficult to take Reeves seriously. However, Street Kings still has plenty of action for the thrill seekers, as well as unpredictable story twists for those looking for more substance.

Felipe Yanez may be contacted at f.yanez@umiami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...