UM student fabricated jogging assault

POSTED APRIL 24 AT 5:19 P.M.

The 21 year-old University of Miami student who claimed to have been assaulted and threatened by an attacker with a knife, admitted she had falsified the story and had inflicted the wounds on to herself, police said.

The student, whose name is not being released, notified police that a man with a knife had attempted to steal her jewelry while she was jogging last Friday on Pisano Avenue near Doctors Hospital, but had fled when she put up a fight. (Read the initial story.)

“The event was fabricated,” said Officer Frank Jackson of the Coral Gables Police Department. “There were some hard scratch marks, not just superficial wounds. They weren’t from a knife or any attacker. She had done it herself.”

Investigators determined that the student, who claimed the attacker had torn her clothing with the blade, had actually ripped it by hand, Jackson added.

When investigators returned to the scene of the “crime” days later, at 7:45 p.m., the time of the incident, they “concluded it was highly-unlikely that nobody had seen or heard the screams and struggle,” said Jackson, who noted that the area has heavy foot-traffic.

“We will not release her name because she may have mental issues and it would be against federal guidelines to do so,” said Jackson. “We will put her in touch with someone in our department and at the university, to get her help.”

Individuals who falsify a police report may be charged with committing a crime, but Jackson said she will most likely not be charged because she “may be suffering from mental instability.”

“We are most concerned with her mental health and well-being,” he said.

Continue to check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...