UM mauled by Panthers

There would be no late-inning heroics to save Miami this time.

The Hurricanes fell behind early and couldn’t catch up to the Florida International University Golden Panthers Wednesday, 6-3.

Surprisingly, Miami (33-5) wasn’t betrayed by its pitching, but by its bats. Junior pitcher Anthony Nalepa, in his first career start for the Canes, pitched four solid innings against the Golden Panthers (13-29), giving up only three hits and one earned run.

Unfortunately for Nalepa, the Miami offense did worse, earning only two hits in the first six innings.

FIU pitchers Eric Horstmann, James Lajness and Jorge Marban all pitched fewer than five innings, but stifled Miami over the entire game.

The Canes got within a run in the eighth inning, but a two-run ninth for the Golden Panthers sealed the deal.

Most of Miami’s offense came from junior second baseman Jemile Weeks, who had a hit and a walk that produced two RBIs. No Miami player had more than two hits.

FIU was led on offense by junior second baseman Ryan Mollica, who drove in two runs on one hit. Sophomore first baseman Tyler Townsend also had two hits.

Miami will now prepare for their three-game weekend series against ACC opponent No. 16 Virginia. First pitch Friday night is 7 p.m. at Mark Light Field.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...