Tents coming back to the Green

Finals week is often a stressful time for students who try to find room to study. The library is crowded and people stake out spots for hours, and college surroundings can be loud and distracting.

Starting Friday, the university is erecting three study tents in front of Richter Library to alleviate the overcrowding in the library and give room to students who need to meet in groups. The tents, which first appeared last semester during finals week, will be set up between 5 and 6 p.m. on the UC Green in front of the library.

The tents will continue to appear during finals week as long as “we have good success and feedback from students,” said Richard Walker, assistant vice president for Student Affairs. “They will be open 24 hours a day until May 8.”

Security guards will be stationed from 7 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily to protect students who study all night.

Walker said that the tents were not intended to be a quiet study space, but rather for conversational group study. Electric outlets are not available within the tents for students who use their laptops as their main tool to study.

Student activities and chaplain religious groups associations will be providing free juice and coffee periodically.

Yessica Salazar may be contacted at y.salazar1@umiami.edu.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...