Plan ahead, get stickers

It’s game day 2008. Football is about to kick off for another season. With the crop of new recruits, you’re ready to watch the Canes.

Several hours later, you arrive at Stanford Circle with all your friends, where the university has provided buses to transport UM students to the game at the Canes’ new home, Dolphin Stadium. This is awesome!

You reached the front of a long line and prepare to board the bus to north Dade.

A bus supervisor says, “You can’t get on the bus! You don’t have a sticker!”

Your friend gets turned down, too because he’s carrying a backpack that is not permitted on the bus.

The way Miami students get to their football games is radically changing next year, just like the place where those games will be played.

It may not have been the most popular move, but it’s a fact of life now, as the Orange Bowl remains half-standing in Little Havana. Dolphin Stadium is the new reality of Miami football.

And that new commute requires the cooperation of students and administration. It seems that the administration is truly making a good-faith effort to commute students effectively and safely.

Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitley admits that the proposed transportation plan is likely to change based on the needs and demands of students. It would behoove students to participate in the process. Get your stickers when they’re available. Ride according to the rules of the school and of human decency. Provide feedback to the school when it’s asked for.

So, while it may not be the most convenient idea ever, the university’s plan is something that will attempt to transport thousands of students over 16 miles efficiently and safely. The least you could do in return is get a sticker.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...