Perceptions of oppression challenged in tunnel

The UC was an uncomfortable place to be Monday through Wednesday. The ballrooms were transformed into a dark maze covered in images of violence and suffering

Deemed a “sensory-based experimental learning opportunity,” through the utilization of multimedia and interactive tours, the UC Ballrooms were transformed into a “Tunnel of Oppression” Monday through Wednesday.

As indicated in a disclaimer distributed to students awaiting the commencement of their tours, the Tunnel of Oppression, a nationally recognized program that takes place at more than 70 campuses across the country, was designed to challenge student’s perceptions and beliefs on issues dealing with oppression and hatred. This was the first time it has been set up at the University of Miami.

The Tunnel consisted of nine rooms focusing on international human rights, classism, religion, racism, children’s issues, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues and sexual assault/body image issues. Amnesty International, Invisible Children, SpectrUM and No Zebras were some of the student organizations involved in the creation of the rooms.

“Too often,

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...