MedSchool Briefs

Miller School using stem cells to help treat heart failure

The Miller School of Medicine is currently conducting a first-of-its-kind clinical trial that uses stem cells to treat heart failure.

Recently a patient underwent a new procedure that could be instrumental in repairing damaged heart tissue.

Joshua Hare, the Miller School’s chief of the Cardiovascular Division, director of the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute and the study’s leader, said that mesenchymal stem cells were injected directly into the patient’s heart during the patient’s triple bypass surgery, which occured on Monday.

The hope is that the patient’s own stem cells, which were cultured at the University of Miami laboratory, will help to heal the damaged heart tissue.

This patient is the first of 45 people to participate in the National Institute of Health-funded study being conducted at the UM Health System and Johns Hopkins University.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...