MedSchool Briefs

Miller School using stem cells to help treat heart failure

The Miller School of Medicine is currently conducting a first-of-its-kind clinical trial that uses stem cells to treat heart failure.

Recently a patient underwent a new procedure that could be instrumental in repairing damaged heart tissue.

Joshua Hare, the Miller School’s chief of the Cardiovascular Division, director of the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute and the study’s leader, said that mesenchymal stem cells were injected directly into the patient’s heart during the patient’s triple bypass surgery, which occured on Monday.

The hope is that the patient’s own stem cells, which were cultured at the University of Miami laboratory, will help to heal the damaged heart tissue.

This patient is the first of 45 people to participate in the National Institute of Health-funded study being conducted at the UM Health System and Johns Hopkins University.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...