HEALTHY CANE: Green tea more than just a popular drink

Green tea has become the latest popular herbal remedy, but is it all that it is cracked up to be?

The herbal tea, which can be bought at the C-store from brands such as SoBe and Pom Tea, contains EGCG, or epigalocatechin gallate, which is an anti-oxidant. EGCG has the ability to hinder the growth of cancer cells and kill them without harming healthy tissue. The antioxidant also combats the unhealthy LDL cholesterol.

In addition, green tea can help control diet when combined with caffeine, according to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The journal published a study that shows the combination of caffeine and green tea extract has the ability to burn more calories than caffeine alone. The only side effect is sleeplessness.

Green tea also has the ability to help prevent tooth decay by killing bacteria in the mouth, and it can support healthy skin. The antioxidant in green tea binds to the tissue, destroying free radicals, and controls the free radicals to limit cell death and carcinogenic formation. Green tea skin creams have been proven to lessen the signs of aging by causing firmer skin and reducing wrinkles. The herbal remedy can also increase the effectiveness of sunscreen by protecting against photo-aging and photo-damage.

In addition to liquid forms, green tea extract can also be found in vitamin supplements, which can ensure that a specific amount is taken on a daily basis.

Ashleyann Gosselin may be contacted at a.gosselin@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...