HEALTHY CANE: Green tea more than just a popular drink

Green tea has become the latest popular herbal remedy, but is it all that it is cracked up to be?

The herbal tea, which can be bought at the C-store from brands such as SoBe and Pom Tea, contains EGCG, or epigalocatechin gallate, which is an anti-oxidant. EGCG has the ability to hinder the growth of cancer cells and kill them without harming healthy tissue. The antioxidant also combats the unhealthy LDL cholesterol.

In addition, green tea can help control diet when combined with caffeine, according to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The journal published a study that shows the combination of caffeine and green tea extract has the ability to burn more calories than caffeine alone. The only side effect is sleeplessness.

Green tea also has the ability to help prevent tooth decay by killing bacteria in the mouth, and it can support healthy skin. The antioxidant in green tea binds to the tissue, destroying free radicals, and controls the free radicals to limit cell death and carcinogenic formation. Green tea skin creams have been proven to lessen the signs of aging by causing firmer skin and reducing wrinkles. The herbal remedy can also increase the effectiveness of sunscreen by protecting against photo-aging and photo-damage.

In addition to liquid forms, green tea extract can also be found in vitamin supplements, which can ensure that a specific amount is taken on a daily basis.

Ashleyann Gosselin may be contacted at a.gosselin@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...