Football busing plan concerns students

On the day of a Canes football game, students may be lathering on body paint, pre-gaming and planning to tailgate, but few want to worry about transportation.

Instead of catching the Metrorail, students will ride chartered American Coach buses that will leave Stanford Circle about three hours before home games. The buses will be monitored by either staff or students – the university still has not decided.

In order to ride the shuttles, students will be required to obtain stickers from the University Center’s first floor desk to place on their Cane Card before each game. These stickers will be distributed 10 days before a game, but distribution will stop two days prior, which means students cannot wait until the day before to pick up stickers.

The Division of Student Affairs released a survey to determine the number of students who would use the transportation.

Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia A. Whitely said the university plans to have about 20 buses for low attendance games and at least 50 buses for more popular games.

The number of buses will not be capped, Whitely said, so there can be more for popular games, such as against FSU. The buses will stay in the BankUnited Center parking lot the night before to limit delays on game day.

“This is a challenge, and you also have to remember that the freshmen are not going to have cars,” Whitely said. “Because of that, we’re going have to have more infrastructure to make sure this is smooth and make sure that it works.”

Despite the university’s plan, some students are worried. Elaine Fenna, a junior, has reservations about the new primary mode of transportation to the games.

“There is the potential for the situation to become as chaotic as if the students had rushed the field on the last game in the Orange Bowl,” she said. “Everyone will complain about it for a few weeks until they realize that it is just a situation everyone will have to deal with.”

Still, Daniel Poterek, a law student, trusts the university’s capacity to run the operations smoothly.

“Sure, the ride to the stadium will be longer, but that gives you more time to bond with fellow students and energize that Hurricane spirit,” he said.

Though plans are incomplete, the university does plan on updating the student body over the summer and during orientation about the new changes.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at r.galiana@umiami.edu.

Football Parking Passes

Be there for the new era in Hurricanes football at Dolphin Stadium

Football season is just around the corner! Be there as your Hurricanes kick off a new era in Miami Hurricanes football at Dolphin Stadium. Don’t miss a play as the Hurricanes host Charleston Southern, Central Florida and ACC opponents North Carolina, Wake Forest Virginia Tech and rival Florida State this season.

Parking passes for next year will be going on sale to UM students at the Hurricane Ticket Office in the Hecht Athletic Center from April 21 to 25, office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...