Cradle-robbing friend needs an intervention

V,

One of my good 20-year-old friends is horrible with women. I don’t think he has had a real girlfriend in years. He is so desperate that he feels that he has to cruise high schools in order to get any action. Recently, our group of friends found out that he has been fooling around with a 10th grader. We fear that he is taking advantage of a very young and na’ve girl and we don’t believe it’s healthy for him to satisfy his sexual appetite with a 10th grader.

How can we get him to stop what he is doing? How can we confront him without making him feel like we’re ganging up on him? While we strongly disapprove of his shenanigans, we don’t want to lose him as a friend.

-Wary of Adolescent Action

Dear Wary,

I understand. You can see your friend continuously ramming his head into the same wall over and over again, yet he doesn’t seem to learn anything. What’s not frustrating about that? Unfortunately, there isn’t much you can do short of an intervention and even then, your influence in the matter looks slim to none.

You’re right, the logic behind this situation doesn’t seem to add up. Think about it: We are college students, the demographic of the ultimate no-strings-attached hook up. You’d be hard-pressed to find an easier place to find that kind of action.

You say your friend is horrible with women. Clearly he is turning to a younger, more na’ve crowd in order to hide from this insecurity that even you admit is so obvious. The good news is that no one is so “bad with women” that it’s impossible to find anyone. I like to think that there is someone for everyone and if only he were to allow such a possibility, then maybe he could realize this too.

As a friend, your best option is to be honest with him. Privately and discreetly let him know that you have his best interest at heart and that any suggestion you make is for his own good. He may not be happy to hear what you have to say or accept that there is truth to your concern, but that’s the thing about humans: sometimes we just don’t learn ’til it comes back to bite us in the bum.

Best of luck!

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com. Do it! All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...